Saturday, June 15

Mapping your way to health

Mapping a healthy Bloomington

1. If you haven’t been to Sahara Mart, you’re missing out. This family-owned grocery store offers a wide range of organic produce, exotic groceries and, most importantly, tea. Besides known brands like Yogi, Tazo and Twinings, Sahara Mart also offers a bulk section teeming with varieties from around the world for those wishing to buy their tea in ridiculous quantities. If you’re looking to nurse yourself back to health this winter, stock up on tea and more at Sahara.

2. When IU finished the Union Street Center apartments in 2010, it kept secret the best C-Store on the meal plan. The Union Street C-Store offers primarily organic groceries and produce, from Paul Newman products to Annie’s Bunny Grahams, all for meal points.

3. Open daily, this addition to Bloomington is bound to have a selection for the tiresome, runny nose. With 10 to 12 different kinds of soups (of the meaty, veggie and vegan variety) to choose from, you won’t leave this place feeling under the weather. You can dine in or carry out a stew as good as grandma’s.

4. If you’re new to Bloomington or if you’ve been living in the winter isolation caves known to some as “the dorms,” you might not have heard of Bloomingfoods. This organic grocery store is a cozy space made for passing the time. (The Sixth Street location is the best).

5. Don’t let the word “vegan” get you down. Whether you’re engaged in the “Vegan January” 31-day challenge, or you’re just looking for a sit-down joint with good grub, the Owlery is a homey, warm and hospitable place to venture into non-dairy foods.

6. Don't go to the IU Health Center

7. The IU Urgent Care is infinitely better than the IU Health Center. With after-hours services, a shorter wait and debatably a kinder staff, it’s worth the extra walk or drive to get to a more efficient health service.  If you’ve got a cold, or just have questions, you’ll find the Urgent Care is a better bet to getting back on your feet.