Kruzan to conduct same-sex weddings

There are at least 12 LGBT couples who will either marry or renew original vows during a wedding ceremony Thursday night to be conducted by Mayor Mark Kruzan.

The ceremony, which coincides with the 10th anniversary of the Pride LGBTQ Film Festival, will also serve as a protest against the proposed constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage in Indiana.

Local clergy and elected officials will be present in support of the cause, according to a press release. Officials from both City Council and Monroe County Council are expected to attend.

The mayor has been a longtime supporter of equality for all citizens, Communications Director for the Office of the Mayor Adam Wason said. Kruzan has presided over same-sex wedding ceremonies before, he said, although Indiana currently does not recognize same-sex unions.

The proposed amendment, House Joint Resolution No. 6, would restrict recognized marriages in the state of Indiana to those “between one man and one woman,” according to the amendment text. In order to pass, the proposal must be agreed upon by two consecutive general assemblies and ratified by a majority of the state’s voters.
The ceremony will take place 10 p.m. Thursday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater with a reception following the event.

For more information about the PRIDE LGBTQ Film Festival, visit pridefilmfestival.org.

— Kirsten Clark