Improve your mood during the 'winter blues'

Question: “During the wintertime, my attitude is never the same. I feel more emotional and less motivated to be social, go out and be productive. What should I do so that I stop feeling down for the next few months?”

Feeling sad during the wintertime is not unusual. In fact, millions of people around the world suffer from “SAD,” or “seasonal affective disorder.” Also known as the “winter blues,” SAD is recognized as an episodic depression that occurs at the same time each year when the days are shorter, darker and colder.

Symptoms often start in the late fall and can continue through the end of the winter. These symptoms include feeling fatigued and a lack of energy, as well as being more emotional and easily upsettable. People often have a tougher time waking up early, are less motivated to work out and crave more sugar and sweets to increase their level of energy. Sometimes, the desire to eat more sweets can lead to weight gain, which can leave people feeling even more depressed.

With seasonal depression, concentration can suffer and you may find yourself withdrawing from social circles and spending less time with friends and more time alone. The symptoms affect many people to varying degrees of severity, but most peopleh feel at least some of these winter blues, especially after the holiday season.

If you find that SAD is affecting your productivity, relationships, school work or is simply leaving you feeling depressed, it is a good idea to seek treatment and look into light therapy. Light therapy is an effective treatment for “SAD” where light boxes are set up to mimic sunlight, easing the SAD symptoms triggered by darkness and cold. If you feel as though you have a small case of the winter blues, there are several treatments in addition to light therapy that can help relieve your seasonal sadness.

1. Take a vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D maintains normal blood levels of calcium and phosphate and Vitamin D production is enhanced by exposure to the sun. Seasonal depression can often be linked to a deficiency in vitamin D. Since sunlight exposure is limited in the winter, taking a supplement can help you feel stronger during those weary winter months.

2. Exercise for energy. One of the most common seasonal symptoms is feeling a lack of energy during the winter. The best way to feel more energized is to get a cardio-based workout to boost your metabolism and leave you feeling fresh and efficient. Though it may be difficult to hit the gym, try 30 minutes of a fun class like kickboxing or cycling to get you back in a workout routine.

3. Eat for fuel. On the days you feel like staying in bed, it is most important to eat right as soon as you wake up in the morning. Start your day with nutritious and delicious choices that include protein, calcium and folic acid. The perfect breakfast would a be a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries, milk and yogurt with almonds and honey.

Finding ways to beat seasonal depression during the long, cold winter months is the best way to make the most of that frightful weather and be even more jazzed up for Bloomington in the springtime.

­—espitzer@indiana.edu

This question was submitted by the IDS staff — you can ask Eshley your own advice questions by emailing arts@idsnews.com