How do I stick to my 2013 New Year's resolutions?

QUESTION: How do I keep my resolutions for the new year?

A new year is a time for revision, intervention and progression. Write some resolutions that will keep the good times rolling in.

After revisiting last year’s resolutions, it is important to set the plan for success in the coming year. Whether you wish for a higher grade-point average, a new group of friends or a healthier home, resolutions should be reasonable enough that, in March, you won’t find yourself right where you were in 2012.

1. Where there is a will, there is a way. If you are interested in being healthier, focus on what you will do to get in bathing-suit-body shape and not on what you won’t be able to do. Work with what you will do. You will eat more servings of fruits and vegetables, start a fun exercise class, find gym buddies and reward yourself with a shopping spree once you reach your first goal. Picturing positive additions, instead of a long list of losses, is the first step in the right direction.

2. Find a purpose to spur your progression. Sure, you want to get better grades or quit a bad habit, but what’s your motivation? When we make a resolution without an obvious reason, it becomes hard to follow. Write down a handful of reasons why better grades will benefit you. Refer to it throughout the year. Whether it is an internship opportunity, getting into grad school or landing a scholarship, attaching your resolution to a specific opportunity inspires you to acquire success.

3. Take small steps and reward progress. Give yourself five small goals and, each time you have successfully meet one, recognize it. Focus on the five things you have done and ignore any small, silly setbacks. Every day, write out one change you made that aligns with your ultimate resolution.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu

NOTE: This advice question came from the arts desk editors. You can submit your own advice questions for Eshley by emailing arts@idsnews.com.