Green and crimson

For students, conserving energy at home can help decrease costs and lessen the impact on the environment. City of Bloomington Senior Environmental Planner Linda Thompson discussed how students can live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle.

Unplug it
Unplugging electronics when not in use can prevent wasting electricity. In the average home, 75 percent of electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
Even when household electronics appear to be idle when turned off, a phenomenon called “phantom load” causes unnecessary use of energy.
“It’s the small drain that is necessary for the appliance to be in a standby mode,”  Thompson said.

Conserve water
Purchasing low-flow water fixtures, such as those with WaterSense labels, can help conserve water and reduce utility bills. A low-flow showerhead costs $10 to $30 and can reduce water usage by up to 50 percent, according to the IU Office of Sustainability.
Taking shorter showers and developing more efficient laundry routines can also help conserve water. Thompson said doing laundry in the evenings and nights can help avoid the “peak demand” times of the day.
“Put up a clothesline indoors and outdoors, enabling you to hang damp laundry whenever you can,” Thompson said.

Switch to energy-efficient appliances, lights
Changing light bulbs, or suggesting a light bulb change to a landlord, is an effective way to reduce energy use. Light-emitting diode (LED) and compact fluorescent lights (CFL) are energy-efficient alternatives to incandescent lights. According to the IU Office of Sustainability, CFLs use 50 to 80 percent less energy than incandescents, last 10 to 13 times longer and could save a student $6 per year on electric bills.
Purchasing ENERGY STAR appliances will also reduce inefficient energy consumption. These appliances run up to 40 percent more efficiently to conserve energy and reduce utility bills, according to the IU Office of Sustainability.

Recycle
If students do not have access to on-site recycling, recyclable materials can be brought to two different locations in Bloomington. The Downtown Recycling Center is located behind City Hall, and the Central Recycling & Reuse Center and Hazardous Materials Facility, 3400 S. Walnut St. For hours of operation, visit bloomington.in.gov/recyclingcenter and mcswmd.org/locations.central.html.

Bike or walk to class
Develop a more eco-friendly lifestyle by renting a home close enough to campus to walk or bike. This practice also saves a significant amount of money on gas. The IU Office of Sustainability estimated that students spend close to $300 per year on gas.
Grow your own or buy local
Thompson encourages students to either plant a garden to grow produce from home or buy organic food products from local suppliers.
“Food has a surprisingly large environmental footprint,” Thompson said.

Grow your own or buy local