Exploring personal style

I just finished reading Andrea Linett’s new book, “I Want to Be Her — How Friends & Strangers Helped Shape My Style,” and it’s safe to say I’ll be reading it again very soon.

You should get a copy, too.

Linett is currently the vice president and global creative director for Michael Kors, and I’ve been a fan of hers since middle school when I first discovered her work in Lucky magazine. Linett co-founded Lucky, “the magazine about shopping,” and served as its creative director for more than a decade.

She essentially made the magazine everything it is today, which is a fashion bible devoted to everyday glamour and distinctive personal style.

Linett has never been one to promote or follow the big trends.
“Don’t be afraid to take chances just because no one else is wearing something,” she wrote in her book. “If you like it, go for it.”

While I’d like to say this has always been my mantra, dressing fearlessly is easier said than done. When I was wriggling in an obnoxious school uniform in grade school, I embraced fashion with abandon.

Patent-leather burgundy Doc Martens, cheetah-print sweaters and rainbow-striped jeans were part of my after-school repertoire. When you’re a kid who loves clothes, it doesn’t cross your mind to consider what other people might think. I probably got a lot of snickers for those burgundy boots, but they’re one of my fond memories.

Some years later, I’m starting to wish I had retained all of that courage.

Linett’s book has gotten me on the right track. She encourages women to step outside their comfort zones and wear what truly speaks to them. The book is a lighthearted memoir with quirky illustrations that depict the women who influenced Linett’s style during the years.

Some of the drawings are simply called “Stranger in a Fur Coat,” while others allude to current fashion icons such as “Chlöe” (Sevigny) and “Kate M” (Moss). 

All, however, are endlessly inspirational. None of the women in Linett’s book look the same — some of them wear floor-length thrift store dresses, some have a rock ‘n’ roll biker look and others, like the fearless older lady Linett saw splashing around on a topless beach in St. Bart’s, wear hardly anything at all.

However, their clothes aren’t what make their styles remarkable. It’s the confidence with which they wear them, the fearlessness that comes with pairing a cotton Indian dress with lace tights and patent-leather Mary Janes.

Linett finds inspiration in anyone with a self-assured point of view.

If they’re making it work, Linett takes notice.

Linett never seeks the “perfect” look, nor does she particularly care what is happening on the runways. She loves the freedom, creativity and beauty she sees in everyday women like you and me.

With a limited budget and the nagging insecurities that accompany our 20-something-year existence, it can be difficult to fully embrace Linett’s
philosophy.

I'll admit that, while I have plenty of off-kilter fashion tendencies, I don't often indulge them because practicality trumps everything when walking through campus.

Finding your own edge is key. Even though mine is still in its preliminary stages -- namely oversized jewelry, colorful bags and mixed prints -- I look forward to taking it to the next level in my post-college life.