Snooki versus Sandy: MTV’s motivations are murky

Now that Hurricane Sandy has subsided, it’s time for the relief circuit.

Sandy, just like every other disaster these days, sparked NBC’s “Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together” telethon — an all-star benefit that raised $23 million for Red Cross relief efforts.

Everyone was pretty humble, and the Red Cross really thanked everyone who contributed to the efforts.

Overall, it was a pretty classy affair. But this is not the only all-star benefit to hit televisions this fall.

On Thursday, MTV will air “Restore the Shore,” a benefit hosted by the cast of “Jersey Shore.”

The network is boasting that viewers will be able to interact with the live event by donating online and via mobile phone.

The benefit will collect money for the nonprofit Architecture for Humanity organization, which will use the donated money to rebuild Seaside Heights, the town where the first season of the show was filmed.

So, go hurricane relief, but “Jersey Shore?”

At what point do we get to say “no” to benefits?

It’s really one of the biggest catch-22s out there. The money is going to a good cause, but are we allowed to use indecent people who “earned” their fame by getting drunk and naked for the world to see to procure it?

The sad thing is, everyone can see this particular benefit isn’t just for the good of the shore. It’s also a conveniently placed publicity stunt for the failing show.

Now in its final season, “Jersey Shore” doesn’t have anywhere to go, but the show has already rubbed its orange hue off on pop culture.

Almost everyone recognizes the name Snooki or the infamous acronym GTL.
MTV can’t afford to give up its hold on pop culture’s neck, but the plug has been pulled.

How do they keep making publicity? By exploiting Sandy’s devastation.

I’m not saying I’m against raising money to help people, but there’s no denying that MTV has other motives.

It’s a huge, established corporation. If the executives wanted to, they could definitely throw some kind of truly high-grossing Katy Perry power hour together with ease.

Instead, they thought a group of self-proclaimed guidos was a better idea.

Celebrity benefits can only go so far until they start to sound less like help and more like harm.

­— sjostrow@indiana.edu