Column: Sushi served to order

Combine seaweed, sticky rice, spicy tuna, cucumbers, soy sauce and a spoonful of teriyaki sauce and you have my favorite sushi roll.

I’ll take it tempura, to go.

It seems the Japanese art of sushi caters to everyone’s cravings when rolled up right.

The best part is that making it yourself is not so hard. Trying different types of rolls keeps the dish diverse and delicious.

All the way from the Tsukiji Market in central Tokyo for breakfast sushi at 4 a.m. to working from scratch in my home, I have been lucky enough to try sushi from a variety of vendors.

The freshest fish I ever had was in Tokyo as I watched different buyers auction off tuna products arriving from around the world as early as 3 a.m.

Surrounded by vendors, buyers, tourists and sushi chefs, I watched the whole preparation process begin.

It happens right at the market where customers bid and buy, exporting their purchases across the globe for the highest quality.

Bloomington has a bustling sushi scene. There is nothing more satisfying than finding a roll that is filling and suits your taste buds.

From a simple avocado roll to a crunchy caterpillar roll, there are so many good ways to go. When buying rolls, try and get a variety of flavors, styles and sauces to complete your experience.

I like to combine a potato tempura roll for a crunchy and sweet sensation, a tasty but less extravagant Philadelphia roll and a spicy caterpillar roll with extra avocado on the outside.

Experimenting with differently wrapped rolls will have you coming back for more or taking on the art and becoming a sushi chef at home.

Sushi is a fun, quick and delicious fix you can personalize to your own
preferences. 

Make it for friends, and you will receive a hearty “doumo arigatou gozaimasu” thanking you in return. Enjoy.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu

Baked salmon avocado roll

You will need:

A sushi mat

1 package seaweed nori sheets

1 cup sushi grade rice

1/4 cup rice vinegar

4 oz. salmon

1/2 avocado

1 Tbsp.  salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

Black sesame seeds

Recipe:

1. Wash the rice and boil until tender.

2. Mix vinegar, sugar and salt together. Mix in the rice until it is cooled. Let the rice sit for a few hours.

3. Spread out your sushi mat and lay down plastic wrap. Put down half a sheet of the nori. Cover it with a thin layer of rice, pad it evenly across the nori sheet and leave a small part uncovered to seal the roll later. Turn the nori sheet over and do the same rice coat on the other side.

4. Cut the avocado into long slivers and place two or three pieces across the roll in the center of the paper. Cut up baked salmon pieces and add a thin line across the paper, parallel to the avocado. You can also add carrot or cucumber slices, as well as a little sriracha for an extra kick.

5. Starting at the edge of the mat, roll up the nori paper so the roll is packed tight. You can use rice vinegar to make the edge of the paper stick.

6. Pour some black sesame seeds on the outside for decoration and slice your roll with a sharp knife into eight to 10 pieces.

7. Serve with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi. Try some green tea or sake on the side.