American Legion hosts Veterans Day Ceremony

ciVeterans

The row of black-suited Veterans Honor Guards fired seven rifle shots as the crowd saluted the half-staff flag in silence.

Local veterans, Boy Scouts, families and county officials gathered outside the Monroe County Courthouse at 11 a.m., on the 11th day of the 11th month to honor those who protected the country.

The American Legion Post 18 has hosted the Veterans Day ceremony for more than 40 years, American Legion Colonel Turner Nolan said.

The ceremony began at 10 a.m. in the courthouse center with a rendition of the National Anthem by the Veterans Day Brass Quintet. While the Boy Scouts of America Troop 100 lowered the flag to half-staff outside the courthouse, American Legion representatives and county officials gave the ceremony’s welcoming
remarks.

First Vice-Commander Larry Taillon led the Prisoners of War/Missing in Action remembrance portion of the ceremony. He directed the crowd’s attention to a place setting at the front of the room, which served as a physical symbol of the thousands of American POW/MIAs still unaccounted for from all foreign conflicts.

He described how the white tablecloth represented the purity of the intentions of the POW/MIAs, the lemon slice symbolized their bitter fate and the red rose represented the families and loved ones who await their return.

“The chair is empty, for they are not here ... the candle is the light of hope which lives in our hearts to illuminate their way home,” Taillon said.

Hugh Dagley, American Legion Department of Indiana adjutant and IU alumnus, served as the guest speaker for the ceremony. He said Veterans Day is not only a day to remember those who have passed, but to honor those who continue to serve.

“GIs go to war not because they’re looking for glory,” Dagley said. “They go to war because of honor, commitment and duty. That’s why many of them pay the ultimate price.”

Taillon and American Legion Post 18 Adjutant James May then read off the names of the 98 veterans who died in the last year with the Legion, chiming a bell after each name was read.

The crowd moved outside at 11 a.m. for the Veterans Honor Guard Gun Salute, which consisted of the firing of gun shots and a rendition of taps by the brass quintet as the boy scouts returned the flag to full-staff.

Legion representatives then presented honorary decorative wreaths to individuals from 21 veteran-related organizations. The ceremony concluded with a benediction from American Legion Chaplain Jenny Tracey and a performance of “God Bless America,” led by Carolyn Burgess and Miss IU Jaclyn Fenwick.

The crowd joined in the singing of the classic song as they faced the raised flag.
For WWII veteran Charlie Wier, who graduated from IU in 1943, the ceremony brought back memories of his time serving in the Philippines and Japan, he said.

He said his most vivid war memory was when he was given a plane ride over Hiroshima, Japan, following the atomic bombing.

“When we flew over, there was nothing but rubble,” Wier said. “No one  
survived.”

For Jim Arnold, a member of the firing squad and a veteran who played a communications role for 20 years in Vietnam, Korea and Germany, the ceremony reminded him of his cousins who were killed in WWII.

He emphasized the importance of treating returning veterans with appreciation and respect.

“Ceremonies like this bring attention to the general public what our service men and women sacrifice for the freedom to do what we did today,” Arnold said.