politics

1st I-69 section opens to public ahead of schedule

The first section of Interstate 69 opened to traffic Nov. 19, with grand opening events attended by Gov. Mitch Daniels, and federal, state and local officials.

The 67-mile stretch of the interstate connects from Evansville to the Naval Support Activity at Crane, Ind. and is opening several years ahead of schedule, according to a press release.

Daniels cut a ribbon with the words “Open for Business” at three ceremonies at Evansville, in Washington, Ind., and near NSA Crane.

He led a ceremonial parade ride between each location, driving his black Harley-Davidson motorcycle on the new interstate corridor.

The new section opened to the public at 6 p.m., in time for Thanksgiving holiday travel.

According to a press release, the corridor was completed about $80 million less than budget in construction costs alone, and more than $300 million less than estimates when total project costs were factored.

It was funded through federal and state dollars, as well as revenue generated from Daniels’ Major Moves plan, which leased the Indiana Toll Road.

The 67-mile alignment provides a 38-minute reduction in one-way travel time between Evansville and NSA Crane compared to alternate routes, according to a new study from the Joint Transportation Research Program at Purdue University.

In a speech, Daniels said he believes the highway is essential for job creation and safety.

“A lot of lives have been lost and a lot of heartache has been caused for people trying to get between places in the absence of this road,” Daniels said.

Daniels said the interstate could prevent 40,000 incidents during the next couple decades.

James Stewart, a commanding officer from NSA Crane, also spoke at an opening ceremony. He said the interstate will improve efficiency for NSA Crane to operate more cost effectively.

“Ultimately these efficiencies allow us to get the ammunition, the weapons and the systems to our sailors, marines, airmen and soldiers down range where they need them,” Stewart said.

Daniels, the first Indiana governor to follow through with construction of the interstate project that has been controversial for decades, said he looks forward to continuing to perform ahead of schedule with the construction.

“We are going to have the most joyful motorcycle ride of my 40-year motorcycle career,” Daniels said.

— Samantha Schmidt