Local brewery sells ‘Hops for Hounds’

Upland Brewing Company offered discounted beer and free live music Saturday to help Bloomington Animal Shelter find adoptive homes for dogs and win a $100,000 prize.

Upland, 350 W. 11th St., sponsored “Hops for Hounds,” part of the shelter’s other efforts during Barktoberfest. Barktoberfest is part of the ASPCA’s $100,000 Challenge, in which shelters around the country try to double adoption rates from August to October.

Shelter manager Virgil Sauder brought nine puppies to the three-hour event. While interacting with the dogs, participants could buy $4 beers, enter into a raffle for prizes and listen to the free, two-hour concert played by Kisses for Free. All proceeds were donated to the animal shelter. Sauder said the friendly environment made adoption more likely.

“The opportunity to eat and drink makes family decisions easier,” he said. “They tend to make those choices over the table at home.”

Though it wasn’t clear if the fare, music or prizes encouraged adoption, Sauder said the event was a success.

Each dog received attention from participants.

Trish Hernacki, an IU freshman majoring in optometry, applied to adopt a several-month-old collie-terrier mix named Lafayette. She had to apply and could not take Lafayette home from the event because the shelter confirms all dogs will be going to a good home before released to adoptive owners. 

“The shelter has to contact our landlord,” Hernacki said. “A lot of adopted dogs are taken back because landlords don’t allow pets. Ours allows two dogs.”

Lloyd, a 1-year-old labrador, was adopted and taken home before the event ended.

Although the event went well, Sauder said he didn’t think they would win the $100,000 prize, which would be used to renovate the shelter.

“We’re hoping to reach 300 adoptions,” he said. “If we do, we can win a $5,000 prize, and that’s better than nothing.”

Shirley Davies, a volunteer who has worked with the shelter for five years, said the shelter does a fantastic job of having dogs adopted, and events like “Hops for Hounds” are a big reason why.

“We need to get the animals out,” Davies said. “An event like this attracted a gentleman who drove more than three hours to adopt a 14-year-old beagle.”

Sauder said there tend to be 80 to 120 dogs at the shelter at any given time, and that most adoptions are walk-in.

Emily Gentry, assistant manager at Upland, said the brewery is supportive of the animal shelter and would be interested in sponsoring a future event.

Sauder said the shelter will consider working with Upland again.

“I don’t know why we wouldn’t,” he said.