sports volleyball

Hansen named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Junior defensive specialist Caitlin Hansen was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week on Monday after leading the Hoosiers to two wins this past week with 48 digs.

She is the first Hoosier to win the award in more than a year.

The last player to win was another Caitlin. Then-senior Caitlin Cox took the award Sept. 12, 2011.

Hansen was reinstated into the libero position against Purdue last week after she lost her starting libero job in the fourth set against Illinois on Sept. 28 to freshman defensive specialist Courtney Harnish and responded with two career highs.

Hansen had a then-career-high 22 digs when IU took down No. 17 Purdue on
Oct. 16.

She outdid herself against Wisconsin last Friday, tallying a new career high with 26 digs.

The Hoosiers won both games thanks in large part to their defense which was anchored by Hansen, senior setter Whitney Granado said.

“I would honestly say our defense has just been unreal these two matches,” Granado said. “I mean, Caitlin Hansen, obviously she broke both her career highs in both matches, and so we’ve been doing a really good job of keeping the ball off the floor.”

Hansen leads the Hoosiers and ranks eighth in the conference with 3.58 digs per set.
In the last two matches, the defensive standout has averaged six digs per set to gain the award.

She looks to maintain her hot streak this weekend as the Hoosiers welcome Michigan State on Friday and Michigan on Saturday into University Gym.

Evan Hoopfer