Gamma Rho Lambda sorority to form at IU

caGayGreek

With a rainbow flag flying overhead at the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services office, Seri Stoppenhagen described her desire to form a chapter of Gamma Rho Lambda at IU.

Though Gamma Rho Lambda has been referred to as the first lesbian sorority, the national organization strives to welcome all members, regardless of sexual orientation.

“We probably aren’t your typical sorority girls,” Stoppenhagen said. “We thought ‘How cool would it be to make a sorority that is all-inclusive, anyone can join?’”

When Stoppenhagen and her girlfriend, Jessica Ventimiglia, transferred to IU earlier this year, they knew they wanted to become involved on campus.

Both girls said they liked the philanthropic and social aspects of greek life.

Stoppenhagen contacted the Gamma Rho Lambda director of expansion, who sent her a long to-do list.

Ventimiglia was up for the challenge. They had the first callout meeting Oct. 8 at the GLBT SSS office and are compiling a petition for the national Gamma Rho Lambda council to approve.

They currently have 25-30 interested members on the petition.

Freshman Katie Pfannmoeller said she is excited to be part of Gamma Rho Lambda. She enjoys the LGBT community support that was not present in her small hometown.
If the petition is approved, the group is required to spend two semesters as a colony before forming an official chapter.

“We could be a colony as early as spring semester,” Ventimiglia said.
Doug Bauder, office coordinator for GLBT SSS, said he is impressed with the ambition of Stoppenhagen and Ventimiglia.

Bauder said he has noticed growing acceptance on campus since the office opened in 1994.
He compared the interest in Gamma Rho Lambda to the formation of an IU chapter of Sigma Phi Beta, a fraternity welcoming all sexual orientations.

The year-old fraternity chapter understands the struggle of forming a new greek chapter.

Sigma Phi Beta was the first greek organization to cater specifically to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and allied population at IU, Jeremy O’Neal,the fraternity’s treasurer, said in an email.

“Before Sigma Phi Beta was a chapter here at IU, the GLBTA  community never had a true supportive greek organization,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal said the response of the greek community to Sigma Phi Beta was welcoming, and he believes the response to Gamma Rho Lambda will be similar.

University Assistant Director of Greek Life Michael Goodman has the same viewpoint. He emphasized the universal aspects of    greek life.

“Regardless of sexual orientation, people want to feel like they have a community of friends around them,” Goodman said. “This is the special thing about fraternities and sororities – the sense of community that is built within.”

He said there is still a stigma about openly gay or lesbian individuals in fraternities and sororities, but he believes the climate is improving.

“As a community, we must do better about incorporating a more inclusive environment for all students,” Goodman said.

Stoppenhagen said the goal of Gamma Rho Lambda should be to provide a friendly atmosphere for all members. She said she would rather downplay the sexual orientation aspect and focus on inclusion.

“We want everyone involved,” Stoppenhagen said. “We don’t want to be just the ‘lesbian sorority.’”