Would Audrey wear it?

This week’s episode of things I have a problem with: older women who dress like teenagers.

Maybe it’s because I’m feeling particularly judgmental this week.

Maybe it’s because I watched “Mean Girls.”

But when I recently went to the mall, I saw many moms dressed in clothes I would have problems wearing even now, as a freshman in college.

They walked around with their younger daughters like some kind of mother-daughter combo platter.

And what do I think when I see people doing that?

Sadness.

That’s what I think.

Why in the world would anyone want to dress like their teenage daughter?

It’s embarassing for everyone involved: the mother, for looking ridiculous, and the daughter, for having a mother that wants to be like a teenager because, as Amy Poehler says in “Mean Girls,” they “keep (her) young.”

I don’t know about other people, but I wore some stupid crap when I was in high school.

I couldn’t imagine wanting to wear those outfits again, let alone with my child, in public.

Matching mother-daughter combos aren’t even that cute when the daughters are babies.

They’re definitely not when a daughter is older than 6 years old.

Perhaps some of these women are skinny and young-looking, with tasteful Botox work done and fresh off their last laser sea salt embryo facial peel.

They’re making an effort to keep the vivacity of youth about them.

There’s really nothing wrong with that.

But once you hit a certain age, some things just should not be worn. There are some styles you must abandon as mistakes of your youth.

If you are a mature, grown woman, you probably don’t need to validate the fact that you are “flawless” by wearing a Juicy Couture sweatsuit with the word emblazoned on the rear.

Which brings me to my next point.

There are ways in which it is inappropriate to dress at any age — mother, daughter, or anywhere in between.

Here’s something to consider: Would Audrey Hepburn wear it?

And if the answer is no, then back away slowly.

And for the love of God, stop wearing words across your ass.

It’s icky.

­— ewenning@indiana.edu