Union Board utilizes technology to engage students

In response to complaints about event timing in Spring 2012, Union Board is trying to reshape the way it interacts with students.

As the largest student programming organization on campus, Union Board is known for the events it plans: concerts, lectures, debates and more.

Senior and Union Board President AJ O’Reilly said increasing student input is at the top of the board’s list of priorities.

“We want to see more suggestions from a wider variety of people on campus,” O’Reilly said.

The main initiative is Union Board’s new website, www.ub.indiana.edu.

“Our new site is the hub for all things Union Board,” said senior Brad Domash, the board’s public relations and marketing director. “How to get involved, what’s coming up and how to tell us what you want.”

The website also features a blog and links to Union Board’s outlets on Facebook and Twitter, where students can include the tag #UnionBoard to talk about events they want to see.

Students can also email ubideas@indiana.edu with suggestions or comments.

“After all, you are paying for it in a way,” O’Reilly said, referring to the student activity fee. “So getting involved is worth your while.”

The activity fee is a charge automatically added to students’ tuition prices every semester. This money is channeled to a number of clubs. Because the board is such a large organization, it receives $4.28 per student each semester.

“The more feedback we get, the more we can do to give students what they want,”O’Reilly said.