Remedy pho seasonal colds

soup

The season of sickness has begun.

Between the Bloomington-induced allergies and head colds, tissues are certainly in season. A remedy is needed.

While visiting Vietnam, I caught the same cold that is always passed around IU.

Luckily, I had pho, a traditional Vietnamese soup, at my disposal.

It was the perfect fusion of tastes and spices to revitalize my senses.

Rice, the country’s staple crop, is the key ingredient to pho noodles and made me unable to resist the soup.

I witnessed workers in traditional rice hats harvesting the rice in the moist soil at the Mekong Delta in southwestern Vietnam. An incredible amount of rice comes from this agricultural center.

Pronounced “f-uhh,” the name is often butchered.

Pho can’t be compared to any other soup because it contains a unique mix of spices and an ability to alleviate sickness.

Cilantro, onion and often cinnamon accompany a thin light broth. Ginger is added to soothe the stomach.

I was told to add additional ginger and pepper for a stronger remedy that clears out the sinuses.

Bean sprouts, hot peppers, green onions and limes are provided on the side of pho for each indulger to add to their preferred taste.

Once you’ve eaten it, you can’t keep away.

Made with rice noodles, broth and basil, pho recipes vary between Vietnamese regions. Regardless of season, it is celebrated globally.

Pho is a combination of French and Chinese flavors and has been dished out for about 100 years.

Pot au feu, the French version of beef stew, includes vegetables and meat. It uses Chinese ingredients such as rice noodles, fish sauce and garnishes.

Today, specialized restaurants offer variations of pho that mix different meats, spice levels and seasonings.

From pho ga, chicken noodle, to pho cay, spicy beef noodle, there are no limits on the possible variations.

My favorite pho experience was in a small restaurant in Hanoi, Vietnam. I ordered a spicy chicken bowl variation. It was with a chicken broth made of charred ginger, onion, fennel seeds, cinnamon and hot peppers.

Small cutlets of chicken breast were added to the sensational broth and soft rice noodles. I garnished it with basil, chili peppers, lime and hoisin sauce and added cinnamon for sweetness.

Being sick stinks. A remedy as fulfilling as pho, easy to prepare just the way you want, can take you from sneezing to breathing better from the fresh herbs and warmth.
Have some fun and try to make your own pho fusion.