sports field hockey

Field hockey bonding adds to team's success

The IU field hockey team has jumped to a 4-1 record in the early part of the
season.

IU Coach Amy Robertson said the team’s off-the-field bonding has helped its performance on the field.

“They can hold each other accountable because ‘I know you have my back,’” Robertson said. “‘You’re saying something and holding me accountable because you believe in me, and I know you trust me so I can give you that feedback.’”

The team chemistry was on display even during interviews. When senior forward Morgan Fleetwood was asked about a bonding experience, she looked to her teammates for help.

“You guys want to help me with this?” she said.

Sophomore forward Nicole Volgraf and junior defender Hannah Boyer were nearby to assist.

They discussed how the team bonds during team meetings. They said no one immediately goes back to their room afterwards, but they all stay and enjoy each other’s company.

After her teammates helped her with the first question, Fleetwood said closeness off the field helps them on game day.

“It helps because you know that you are working towards something, and you are working for your teammates because you have good relations with them,” Fleetwood said.

Volgraf said everyone on the team is more than just a teammate, and that is when they are on the field.

“Everyone on the team is definitely a teammate, but also, everyone is a friend.” Volgraf said. “You can talk to them about anything you need, but then you know you have them behind you and in front of you on the field.”

Robertson said the players are excited when rooming assignments are given out, no matter who they are rooming with.Boyer agreed.

“Everyone anticipates hearing who their roommate is on road trips because we know no matter who it is, we are going to have a great weekend,” Boyer said.

Boyer also said the bonds the team started with in the preseason have progressed each day. She attributed the togetherness of the team to everything they have been through together.

“We have gotten even closer with each week, from training every day to the hardships that we have faced,” Boyer said. “Especially with a loss on our record now, it has brought us even closer.”