Stages center appoints Wisely new director

It started as a theatrical outlet for children in the home of a Bloomington family.
Now, local organization Stages Bloomington is about to get a boost.

Matthew Wisley has been named the new executive director of the youth theater education and performance organization.

The search for a new director began for Stages’ Board of Directors in March, when the previous director stepped down.

After sifting through 20 applications and interviewing a narrowed group, President of the Board of Directors Travis Paulin said Wisley was the frontrunner.

“I knew from the moment I met him he was the perfect choice,” Paulin said. “Matt is a tremendously energetic and warm person, perfect for this role because he has 15 or so years’ worth of teaching and choreographing in Bloomington.”

Paulin’s confidence in Wisley is backed by Wisely’s history with Bloomington artistic outlets.

Working as a choreographer for Windfall Dancers, Inc. in 2000, Wisely moved to an administrative position there until 2010.

Kay Olges, Windfall’s president of board of directors, said Wisley’s work with the dance company will be especially helpful with his new position at Stages.

“The things that he was doing as the school director will completely apply because he was the face, the voice of the school,” Olges said.

Stages exists in the Bloomington community as an opportunity for elementary- and middle school-aged children to participate in theater and the performing arts.

The organization started as Bloomington Music Works by a woman who wanted her homeschooled children to have a chance to explore their creative side.

Today, activities like fall classes, a full-scale winter production and summer camps are well attended by local youth passionate about theater, Paulin said. Even with such positive participation now, Wisley said he thinks there is still potential for improvement.

“We’re going to try and have audition-based straight theater in the spring,” Wisley said.

Expanded age opportunities and more summer programming are all ideas in the works for Stages — all welcome things in a town Paulin described as “performing arts­-crazy.”

Paulin said Wisley’s commitment will provide a creative and energetic outlet for Bloomington children interested in theater.

“The timing was just right,” Wisley said. “It seems like it was meant
to be.”