Ladies First looks for new members

The all-women a capella group Ladies First has defined Sally Stempler’s college career.

Stempler, the music director for the group, auditioned during her first semester as a freshman at IU and was immediately admitted.

Now a senior, Stempler prepares to leave that college experience behind and admit a new set of ladies into the group.

Ladies First auditions will be 7:30 p.m. Sept. 4 and 10:30 p.m. Sept. 5 at the Music Annex at the Jacobs School of Music`. Women who audition are expected to sing a capella music with a verse and chorus prepared.

Callbacks will be Tuesday, according to the Facebook event.

Only two new members will be added to the group after the auditions in time for their fall show on Nov. 9. 

Stempler said even though six of the 12 Ladies First members will be leaving, it’s difficult to admit six people and teach them the repertoire all at once.

After two new girls join this semester, there will be more auditions in spring and fall 2013.

With 10 hours of rehearsal each week, being a part of Ladies First is a major commitment, Stempler said. Their policy, though somewhat flexible, requires members to stay in the group throughout the remainder of their college education.

“It does get a little daunting if you have too much on your plate,” Stempler said. “But if you’re willing to take the time and really balance it out, it’s completely rewarding.”

Other than dedication, Stempler said an ideal Ladies First member would have good musical ability, is a natural leader and is driven yet easygoing.

They are always looking for a female bassist because it is hard to find girls who can consistently sing low, Stempler said.

Ladies First member Briana Hall, a sophomore majoring in music education, will be music director after Stempler graduates.

Hall said musicality is a big factor that determines who she would want in a Ladies First member.

“Someone that can read music and someone that has a little bit of theory knowledge, and that would definitely help when we’re looking for people to arrange, too, because we arrange all of our own music,” Hall said.

Ladies First, which formed in 1999 and has released four albums since, is self-governed but sponsored by the IU Alumni Association.

When it comes to choosing new members, every member has input.

Stempler said about 60 girls have previously auditioned for Ladies First.

“There are so many great people that come out and audition,” Stempler said. “It’s not hard to really fall in love with a bunch of girls.”

IU sophomore Hayley Lipke said she decided to audition for Ladies First after she attended one of their shows in fall 2011.

The following spring semester, Lipke auditioned but didn’t get in.

Lipke is cutrently a member of the Singing Hoosiers. She said she wants to be a part of Ladies First because it seems like they have a lot of fun.

“One thing is that they are an all-girls group,” Lipke said. “Just the purity of all their voices sounds really intense and cool, and I think the dynamics between the girls are a lot more like a family.”