Student study spots

South Lounge

From the bustling, noisy Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union to a quiet nook in the Herman B Wells Library, student study spots are as diverse as the majors the University offers.

With more than 30,000 undergraduates, the University as countless options for people searching for the perfect place to finish their schoolwork.

STARBUCKS
While most consider a quiet atmosphere conducive to learning, 2011 graduate Grace Green enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the Starbucks in the IMU Gallery. The milling crowds and background music kept her focused on her homework while the coffee and desserts kept her nourished as she worked.

“I like to study at Starbucks because it’s not too quiet and it’s not too loud,” Green said. “In my (dorm) room I get too distracted, and the library is too quiet. It seems kind of tense in the library. But in Starbucks, there are people moving around and talking, but they are not necessarily people you know who you’re going to talk to.”

Unlike some of her classmates, Green said she enjoys background noise and wasn’t easily distracted by the sounds of coffee being made, the chatter of the students and music. She said the atmosphere relaxed her and allowed her to concentrate on her work without being anxious or stressed.

“Some people need absolute silence to study, but I don’t really need that,” Green said.

CAMPUS LIBRARIES
Just as Green needed noise to loosen her up as she did her homework, 2010 graduate Robert Barnell preferred the solitary space and quiet ambiance of libraries, choosing to study mainly in the Wells and School of Public and Environmental Affairs libraries.

Barnell stopped in several times a day between and after classes, valuing convenience and absolute silence when he was working, he said.

“Between classes, I’ll go to whatever library is nearest,” Barnell said. “A lot of people seem to not go (to the SPEA library), so it’s not super crowded. I like how they have windows, and it’s an interesting building.”

While Barnell enjoyed the SPEA library, he would switch locations if he was working on a larger assignment.

“I go to SPEA just for day-to-day things,” Barnell said. “When I have a really big paper, I’ll go to Wells to the second floor of the West Tower.”

DORM ROOMS
While some students prefer to leave the distracting space of their own dorm rooms, other students favor the convenience and companionship of studying with friends.

2011 graduate Leah Myhre said she dislikes areas with constant noise, such as the Starbucks in the IMU, and the quiet atmosphere of the library. Rating convenience as a main priority, she said she would stay in her dorm to study in the company of friends.

“If it’s something small that has to be completed for the next day and doesn’t require a lot of focused attention, then I like to study with friends,” Myhre said. “I think it creates a fun, energetic atmosphere that keeps me awake to do my homework.”

However, if she had an upcoming paper or project that required more consideration than her daily work, then Myhre said she would leave her dorm to visit the library.

“If I have to work on a paper or do a huge project, then I like to do it alone or maybe with one other person who’s doing the same work in the library so I’m more focused and concentrating,” she said.

OTHER STUDY SPOTS AROUND CAMPUS
The Arboretum: This is the perfect spot when the weather is nice to study solo or work on homework with a group of friends.
The South Lounge: Located next to the Starbucks in the IMU, this lounge, nicknamed “The Quiet Room,” offers a quiet atmosphere that’s not the library.
Residence hall lounges: Studying in your residence hall lounge gets you out of your dorm room while maintaining the convenience of studying where you live.

OFF-CAMPUS STUDY SPOTS
Monroe County Public Library
303 E. Kirkwood Ave.

The Pourhouse Cafe
314 E. Kirkwood Ave.

Runcible Spoon Cafe & Restaurant
412 E. 6th St.

Barnes & Noble
2813 E. 3rd St.

City Bakery
1318 E. 3rd St.

SOMA Coffeehouse
322 E. Kirkwood Ave.