Column: An Apple that never rots

As a child of the early 1990s, I knew the name Fiona Apple but barely understood it. Though her first hit “Criminal” was always recognizable, my young ears and eyes could not comprehend what everyone was making a big deal about. That is, until now.

Fiona Apple practically disappeared from the music scene after her sophomore album, but she is back and howling her vocals with new singles like “Werewolf” and “Every Single Night.”

Now, as a 20-year-old, I am able to look back on her previous songs, listen to the current beauty she is creating, and take a big bite of Apple’s music.

To begin with, Apple has a sultry voice that carries intense words smoothly — its jazzy qualities work with the piano, empowering the complex riffs, and yet hiding behind them when necessary.

Her music does not feel like a separation of instruments, voice and lyrics, but a blended whole.  

The mainstream media picked her up after hearing “Criminal” and seeing the risqué video, which included a young Apple in her underwear at a party.

“Criminal” was a pop hit that even awarded her an MTV Award for Best New Artist in 1997. However, her speech, like her voice and music, was different.

In front of the wide audience that MTV caters to, she said, “This world is bullshit, and you shouldn’t model your life on what we think is cool and what we’re wearing and what we’re saying.” Not your typical pop star.

Though more than 10 years have passed, the quality of her voice and the profundity of her music have not changed. She is a refreshing artist to see returning because of the poetry of her lyrics and complete expression in her music.

Before now, I was not a fan simply because I was unaware.

Now, I am intrigued and fascinated by her chilling voice and honest lyrics. “Every Single Night,” one of the singles released for her new album, slithers through your head as a catchy song with minimalist piano and tribal-like chanting.

Yet the lyrics explore the terror of being trapped by your own dark thoughts. To top it off, her voice trills at some points and then lowers down to a commanding, capturing sound.

Without a doubt, I am excited for her fourth album “The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do,” set for a June 19 release.

Yes, I am aware of the long and unusual title, but after all I just told you about Ms. Apple, would you expect anything less?

— bafinkel@indiana.edu