City honors peace officers in annual event

Peace Officer

Sometimes it is easy to dismiss the police officer directing traffic in a construction zone or the police car speeding somewhere with its lights on. Tuesday was all about noticing these civil servants.

Fraternity 88 of the Bloomington Police Department hosted an event Tuesday in front of City Hall to commemorate Peace Officers Memorial Day.

“Every day, my appreciation grows for what officers do,” Mayor Mark Kruzan said. “At the same time, so does my resentment for those who do not appreciate what these officers do.”

Tuesday marked the 50th observance of Peace Officers Memorial Day, which was signed into law by President John F. Kennedy in 1962. The day honors police officers, firemen and other peace officers.

The event began with remarks by Senior Officer Bob Neely of the BPD, followed by a statement from Kruzan. The event concluded with the lowering of the American flag, the playing of “Taps” and the “Police Officer’s Prayer.”

Neely, a veteran officer with BPD for more than 34 years, said he was one of the “driving forces” behind Fraternity 88’s now annual event, first held in 1996.
“We needed to do something to recognize what these officers do,” Neely said. “We sort of got the ball rolling and got the city and county involved.”

One of the themes from Tuesday’s ceremony was the unpredictability of a police officer’s work.

“We never know what we’re going to run into when we respond to a call,” Neely said.

He then referenced the “naked shooter” incident last week, in which BPD officers shot an IU student who allegedly fired a 9mm handgun at homes, cars and then police officers in a neighborhood north of the IU campus.

“It sounds funny until you get out there and he has a 9mm pistol,” Neely said. “That dude was trying to kill some people. By the grace of God, all of our officers were able to walk away physically and mentally intact. There have been so many real, close-to-death situations where no one was killed thanks to training or luck or whatever.”

Kruzan also had some thoughts on the shooter, as well as the fickle nature of police work.

“There’s no such thing as a routine call,” Kruzan said. “What could sound almost humorous when it starts ... could have resulted in the death of a bystander, a police officer or even the suspect.”

In his remarks to the crowd, Kruzan shared the story of Indiana State Police Master Trooper Michael Greene who was shot on Feb. 5, 1993, after stopping to question two men urinating alongside I-65.

“What struck me is, here’s a man, 43 years old — I was 33 at the time — who lost his life doing his job,” Kruzan said. “It’s been almost 20 years that his wife and kids have had to live without him.”

Avoiding stereotypes and changing perceptions were goals several people talked about after the ceremony.

“I understand the college student’s mindset towards police,” Kruzan said. “I didn’t always have an appreciation for the job. But I always knew that when I called 911, those same people would be there ready to help. You shouldn’t stereotype any profession, and that goes for police, firefighters, anything.”

Master Trooper Doug Perry, a 28-year veteran of the Indiana State Police, stressed the importance of remembering police officers’ purpose.

“We’re here to help,” Perry said. “We’re not here to raise revenue or cause problems.”
Neely also challenged perceptions about the IU Police Department.

“A lot of students view IUPD as a security force,” Neely said. “But they’re a certified, bona fide police force, and they should be given that kind of respect.”

The primary message of the day, however, was appreciation.  

“Today’s a day that’s important to set aside so we remember that some people have a job where they might not come back,” Kruzan said. “Fortunately, it’s a rare instance, but it happens. We want firemen and policemen to know we respect what they do and that we’re here for their fallen.”