Pop Couture

What to ditch and what to keep for a summer abroad

newbalances

Nikita was a Latvian native, but he was studying in Paris when he told me he could pick out every American on Champs-Élysées Avenue because of two common traits: blue jeans and tennis shoes.

Even though I was wearing neither of the two, I couldn’t necessarily disagree with his stereotype as I cringed at a pair of passing white New Balances. Though our shiny Condé Nast magazines might model a taste of American fashion and poise, the majority could humbly agree that the comparison is no close match between a Euro native and an all-American girl.

He was right. I was helplessly jealous of his naturally cool European swag.

But then he continued in a more pompous tone to say that if Americans wish to fit in abroad, they should simply avoid major European cities altogether. I disagreed — after all, if not for Prada, we are known for our American charisma and competitive nature.
So, I’m taking this opportunity to accept his challenge and insist all of you Euro-dwellers do the same. Here are a few tips on fashion abroad that might be helpful while packing those suitcases and proving that handsome man wrong. We Americans can have Euro swag, too.

1. Redefine casual: You might get away with wearing sweatpants while running to the corner store in Ohio, but unless you are literally running, European countries have a different definition for casual attire. Two casual pieces abroad are plain V-neck tees paired with a pashmina.

2. Conceal color: Blues, mustards and corals are running rampant through American lines, but black is always a necessity in Europe. Wear all black here, and you’ll be tagged with satanic comments all day. Wear all black in Paris, finishing it with black ballet flats, and it’s considered Vogue worthy. Otherwise, stay clear of bright clashed hues. Instead, go for more muted tones and subtle hues.

3. Short-live shorts: Shorts are seen as resort wear, so save them for the beach. Europe is a much more modest country, but don’t think boring conservative — just more elegant. Look for longer cuffed cotton shorts in navy or burgundy. Also consider straight-legged capris in black or white.

4. Do denim: You might have heard no denim in the U.K., or most countries for that matter. However, it’s more about how you do denim that needs a Euro critique. Stay away from heavy back pocket logos and anything with holes. Stay simple. Go straight, dark and tight. If you must have some flare, do so with caution.

5. Wear waterproof: On average, it rains three out of seven days in London in the summer. To someone with temperamental frizzy hair, that’s terrifying. These simple items are must-haves in rainy weather — pocket umbrella, water proof bag, rain boots, waterproof mascara and mousse. Also, the rain drops the temperature significantly, so carry cardigans or a light jacket.

6. Surely sheer: The greatest thing about sheers is that they can be layered without adding too much bulk to an outfit. They’re soft and sexy, too. This is one fabric that craves bulky accessories. Pile on bracelets or go with a chunky necklace, but not both.

7. Smart shoes: Wedges are a perfect casual shoe for day walks, but stilettos are recommended for evenings. Also, remember that a lot of streets are cobblestone, which can threaten to twist ankles. Flats are best when traveling, so I’ll be packing my classic Tory’s and my Flats-to-go from Target. Remember, don’t leave behind your lace boots.

8. Simple beauty: European street style is all about embracing a natural cool. Though we might feel the need to curl or straighten every strand, a tailored air dry might be more fit. Use product. The same goes for makeup. Use simpler shades of eye shadow, and watch the heavy bronzer when a light blush could suffice.

Though these blanket tips will help, each city is diverse. Check out local blogs and magazines. Set your Twitter trends to your destination. Also, look books from ASOS, Topshop and Oasis can grant great inspiration along with visits to local boutiques. But the number-one tip is to remember your roots, so don’t feel smothered — if you want to slip on those comfortable Levi’s and Indiana sweatshirt, do it. But for those other times, whether prowling the streets of London, rowing the Venice canals or shopping the avenues in Paris, I hope these tips help your Euro-swag sensible mind-set.