Homeward Bound walk raises funds Sunday

Homeward Bound

In Bloomington, 39 percent of residents live below the poverty line, according to U.S. Census statistics.

Entering the 2011-12 school year, 228 of Bloomington’s youth were reportedly homeless, a 29-percent increase from two years ago, according to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Questionnaire distributed throughout the Monroe County Community School Corporation.

“A lot of people dealing with homeless and poverty, they do have a tendency not to turn that kind of information in, so that number could be even higher,” said Kathy Mayer, the chairperson for Homeward Bound.

In an effort to combat homelessness and poverty in the area, Homeward Bound had its 10th annual 5K walk Sunday to raise funds for 12 local nonprofits geared toward ending homelessness in the community. Homeward Bound, which is an effort of the Indiana Association for Community Economic Development, was sponsored by the City of Bloomington’s Community and Family Resources Department and served as the community’s link to the statewide effort to assist those in need.

Prior to the start of the walk, the Vallures performed onstage at the Waldron, Hill and Buskirk Park. Then, at 1 p.m., a sea of orange T-shirts marched away from the park and began the walk.

As it is the walk’s 10-year anniversary, Mayer said they set a goal of 1,000 participants, hoping to raise at least $100,000.

“The goal is really a stretch, but because we feel so good about what we’re doing, we felt really good about our goals,” Mayer said.

Although she did not have an official count, she estimated about 800 people supported the event. With more than $30,500 raised so far, Mayer said, individuals can donate for the next 30 days, Mayer said. Last year, $66,000 was raised. More than $500,000 has been raised in the last 10 years.

She credited the decrease in involvement to competition from other local organizations asking for donations.

But still, she said, local homelessness and poverty in Monroe County is
increasing.

“We are considered one of the highest in the state of Indiana, I think, generally due to the lack of industrial jobs,” Mayer said. “Monroe County is more of a retail service and caters to that demographic more so than it might to a business.”

Before the event, Bloomington City Council President Tim Mayer took the stage, presenting a proclamation to Bloomington resident Crystal Harris from Mayor Mark Kruzan.

Harris has experienced homelessness firsthand. After her husband was laid off from his job, Harris and her family were evicted from their home in 2011.

After calling the organization Centerstone, she said, her family was placed in the New Hope Family Shelter. Currently, she said, her family lives in a home through the Bridges Program.

“That was a true blessing,” Harris told the audience in the park. “If you are in need and you are homeless or cannot make ends meet, there is help out there for you.”

Throughout Indiana, Homeward Bound sponsors 11 walks to end homelessness.

“It’s not just about the homeless person and the stereotypes you might see about that,” Mayer said. “It is neighbor helping neighbor.”