Bloomington Chamber Project plays shows for IU Arts Week

Featuring groups of students from the Jacobs School of Music and local organizations, Café Django came alive as candle flames danced and music flowed through the air.

Performers involved with the Bloomington Chamber Project, a new, student-led venture that works to connect musicians with the Bloomington community, performed Tuesday at the café.

A ring of chairs formed a small stage in front of the fireplace, which Forrest Wu, senior and head of the Bloomington Chamber Project, made his way to and stood to welcome the attendees.

“This is the inaugural concert for the project, and I hope you all enjoy what the musicians have prepared,” Wu said.

Senior Ben Wedeking and junior Mike Griesi kicked off the night with “Manuel de Falla,” a Spanish dance that they played on guitar.

The next song was Dmitri Shostakovich’s “String Quartet No. 1.”

Members of the group included sophomores Jinty Mctavish and Annika Kounts playing the violin, sophomore Jasper Zientek on the viola and sophomore Andrew Bader playing the cello.

“This all started as a project by Project Jumpstart, which is a student-centered and student-driven career and entrepreneurial leadership program,” Wu said.

“We are performing tonight as part of Arts Week here at IU, and though we were supposed to play three times this week, we shaved it down to just tonight.”

Following the quartet, IU graduates Grace Kim and Meghan Yost delighted the audience with a piece by Bohuslav Martinu, with Kim playing violin and Yost playing viola.

Throughout the night, multiple small groups played, and at the end of every song, audience members applauded enthusiastically.

“This is the original way this music was enjoyed,” Bloomington resident and audience member Allie Wakefield said. “It is very enjoyable and intimate.”

Through Wu, many people were able to come play at the café.

“I’m a friend of Forrest’s, so when he asked me to play for the project, I definitely agreed,” senior Christine Hannan said.

“My group and I are the Southern Brass Quintet, and we have been playing together for four years, so it didn’t take much to come up with something for Forrest tonight.”

Playing “Valse Lente,” “Marcia alla francese” and “Gigue à l’anglaise” by Walter S.

Hartley, the Southern Brass Quintet was the first brass performance of the night, filling the café with the strong sound of trumpets, a horn, a trombone and a tuba.

“String Quintet No. 4 in G minor,” written by Mozart, followed the Southern Brass Quintet.

The group playing Mozart included sophomore Lydia Umlauf and graduate student Paul Kim, both on the violin; graduate student Josiah Coe and Yost, both playing viola; and graduate student Jae Choi on the cello.

Spicing up the evening, graduate students Joshua Espinoza, who played the piano, and Erik Franklin,  who played the clarinet, took the stage.

“I met Forrest through Project Jumpstart,” Espinoza said. “I have played with him in the past, so when he contacted me, I wanted to get involved. I was really excited about the idea of bringing music to the community.”

Espinoza and Franklin played three preludes written by George Gerswhin before leaving the stage.

Once the performances were finished, the café continued to bustle with people enjoying their Tuesday night in the comfortable atmosphere.

“It was very nice to listen to this kind of music outside of a recital,” senior David Linard said. “I felt very cool sitting and drinking wine while listening to great music.”

As it is the Bloomington Chamber Project’s first year, Wu said that he was extremely happy with the way the performances went.

“I’m graduating this year, so I’m really happy that it went well tonight,” Wu said.
“I’m really hoping that somebody will step up and take over the project next year. I am more than willing to pass on this responsibility to someone else, and hopefully I’ll be able to continue helping out as long as I stick around town.”