100 Men Who Cook supports Bloomington Hospital

Chefs

It was raining men Saturday night in Assembly Hall.

Dancing in to the tune of “It’s Raining Men,” 100 Bloomington community members lined the perimeter of Assembly Hall for Old National Bank’s second annual 100 Men Who Cook fundraiser.

This year, all proceeds benefited the Bloomington Hospital Foundation’s New Beginnings Campaign. During the course of two years, the campaign organizers hope to raise $700,000 for the IU Health Bloomington Hospital Special Care Nursery. The campaign will fund upgrades to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the hospital’s postpartum rooms to better serve its patients here in Bloomington.

Kim Smith, the foundation’s special events manager, said this event kicked off the two-year fund-raising endeavor.

Old National Bank President Mark Bradford is an IU Health board member and former foundation member. He was instrumental in coordinating the event and even served as a chef for the evening.

“It is such a unique event, as opposed to so many fundraisers,” he said. “There are people here from all walks of life. It’s just real people that really want to make a difference.”

Tickets were $80 per person or $600 per table. The event had a cash bar, live auction and dancing throughout the night. All participants were given a complimentary cookbook containing the 100 recipes from the evening.

Donned in matching aprons and chef hats, the 100 “chefs” volunteered their time and donated their delicacies to support the event. From appetizers to entrees to desserts, the cooks kept things exciting for the crowd of almost 700 attendees.

Jeff Matthews, the general manager at Kroger on South College Avenue, was a “chef” for the evening and decorated his table like a tiki bar. He said his wife works for Old National Bank and convinced him to help this year. He solicited the help of one of his employees, Emily Martin, whom he designated as his sous chef.

Martin will graduate from Ivy Tech Community College’s culinary arts program this spring. The duo served tropical dreamsicle cheesecake and draped Hawaiian leis around the necks of anyone who passed by.

“It’s so everyone knows you’ve been here,” Matthews said with a grin. “We are having an outstanding time. It’s been a lot of fun.”

The chefs had tip jars at their tables, and the ones with the most tips by the end of the evening were recognized with a certificate.

All the tips benefited the New Beginnings campaign.

Last year, the 100 Men Who Cook fundraiser collected $67,000 for the Bloomington Hospital Foundation’s Hospice House.

With 100 more people in attendance this year, Smith said she knew they would surpass last year’s collection.

“There are a lot of community-minded and generous people that come out, not just for the good food and social part of it, but to help the community, too,” Smith said.