Two Hoosiers work at training facility to prepare for possible NFL careers

McDonald, Adkins work with former Hoosier Tracy Porter's trainer

It has been on display at the Olympics in Beijing. It has been seen in the 2011 NBA Finals. It was apparent during the interception return to seal the 2010 Super Bowl Championship.

This factor is the training program of St. Vincent Sports Performance, located on the northwest side of Indianapolis. Program alumni include USA Olympic diver Thomas Finchum, Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers and New Orleans Saints defensive back Tracy Porter.

Former IU left tackle Andrew McDonald and safety Chris Adkins, who both graduated in December, spent the time off at the facilities at St. Vincent, preparing for IU’s pro day Monday.

The workouts McDonald and Adkins were unlike the practices they went through in the fall, as they no longer have a game to prepare for each week.

“The main (difference) is a lot of it is technique when we do our running, just because it’s for the pro day or combine,” McDonald said. “Everything is tailored to being at our peak performance during our pro day, so you go there and blow them away.”

The two players will undergo seven tests at the pro day, ranging from bench press to running a 40-yard dash. They aren’t the only two training with St. Vincent, as 16 NFL Draft hopefuls worked with trainers for eight weeks to improve their draft stocks.

During the program, which is coming to a close, the players are housed in the Embassy Suites hotel, located right down the street from the facility.

“It’s kind of like staying on a dorm floor how everything is all set up,” Adkins said. “You can play video games and hang out and relax until we have to go to sleep and wake up and grind all over again.”

The routine Adkins spoke of included straight-ahead drills — sprints and other acceleration drills — for 90 minutes Monday and Wednesday mornings and lateral workouts for the same amount of time Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

Each afternoon, the athletes spent time in the weight room, overseen by trainers, such as Greg Moore, who is the NFL combine pre-draft coordinator and NBA pre-draft coordinator.

Moore said he was attracted to St. Vincent because the facility combines medical treatment with athletic training. Dr. Chris Carr, who was a sports psychologist with former IU fotball Coach Bill Lynch’s staff, is in the same position at St. Vincent.

Moore said he found the healthcare at the facilities the most attractive and helpful aspect, and Adkins said the atmosphere has helped him greatly. The hotels might seem like a dorm, but Adkins said the atmosphere isn’t similar to that of IU.

“It’s not so much of a college town, and it’s just allowed me to be as focused and give everything to this,” Adkins said. “This is life right now, so no distractions or school or things like that is pretty much the difference.”

Moore echoed Adkins’ sentiments, saying these players are no longer student-athletes. This is now a full-time job, but not with pay — not yet, at least, he said.

“They’re not really punching the clock,” Moore said. “They’re not paid by the hour. They’re going to be salaried employees when they get in the NFL.”

If both Adkins and McDonald reach their goals of playing in the NFL, it will be the third level of football they would play together. They played high school football together at Warren Central High School in Indianapolis before playing together at IU.

Adkins isn’t ready to get nostalgic quite yet, though.

“I’m sure when we stop to smell the roses once everything is all said and done, we’ll really appreciate going through this experience together,” Adkins said. “As far as right now, he’s just Andrew, and I’m just Chris, good friends.”