Poetry celebration honors expression through writing

A small group gathered for a celebration of words Wednesday evening at
Rachael’s Café.

Taking inspiration from their individual lives, the presenters documented their journeys and experiences with poetry.

The event, called “Little Black Wednesday,” allowed people to come to the stage and read poetry, short stories and other works they had written.

“Most of my poetry is inspired by my love for Jesus Christ,” said Kiva White, who shared her words with the audience. “My passion is to show people the glory of God and, through my words, to show them that there is still love, joy and hope in the world.”

Michael Anderson, another performer, read an introductory poem that kicked off the evening. He read numerous poems throughout the night, mixing originals with the works of others.

His readings acted as introductions for other performers.

Standing on the small stage, Anderson stared at the audience before reading one of the final lines of his first poem.

“This is reality,” Anderson began. “This is the doing rather than the testing. What you do on this stage is not evidence of the thing, but the thing itself.”

Applause followed him off the stage as, one by one, others took the stage as he had.
Words rang in the air as subjects ranging from aching bones, rain and love to steaks, pain and the limestone bosoms of Bloomington delighted the enthusiastic audience.

“My biggest inspirations come from the various alternative lifestyles that I have both witnessed and studied in the world,” junior Jessica Sobocinski said. “I’m not only inspired to write about the lifestyles but about the philosophies and tactics used to deal with them.”

After Sobocinski read one of her poems, “Warriors,” Anderson changed the tune as he stepped onto the stage and read an email he wrote to the graduate school at Boise State University that had rejected him.

He had never sent the email.

When asked where he took his inspiration from, Anderson jokingly said, “Where do I get my inspiration? I do drugs.”

Laughter and solemnity interchangeably colored the aura around Rachael’s Café as various words were read that emphasized one emotion or the other, or some feeling in-between.

Continuing long after the sun had set, the crowd in the café grew as people continued to read.

“I’ve been involved in many different walks of life,” White said. “I’ve been to hell and back, and I used to ask God why he took me down some paths. But now I consider them a blessing. They help me relate to people on a level that I wouldn’t have been able to if I hadn’t experienced them. I want to touch people through my writing.”

White balances a job, six children and her poetry readings. She stood on the stage and drew the attention of every eye in the audience as she recited her poem “Transformed” in a powerful voice.

“This is the first time in my life that I’ve not just been the voice behind the paper,” White said. “I’ve been sharing my own story, and it has truly been an incredible journey.”