Living alone can lead to new habit formation

Junior Sarah Beal is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. Theta is home to more than 100 girls, and life in the house varies greatly from Beal’s living situation last year.

She lived off campus with only two roommates. Each had her own bedroom and bathroom.

Steven Kurutz recently published an article in the New York Times about interesting habits he developed while living alone.

Talking to his cat and examining his pores in the mirror daily were just a few of the habits Kurutz highlighted.

Kurutz said he developed a series of new habits while living by himself. As she currently lives in a double room in her sorority house, Beal said she could relate.

“It was easy for me to isolate myself and stay in my room, watching TV,” Beal said.

“I also saw different habits develop with having my own room. Being alone, I would talk over the day’s events, or sometimes I would think of outfits in my head and try them on. While I still like to try on clothing, I think I’ve mostly dropped the habit of speaking to myself.”

Now, Beal shares her bedroom with a roommate and has seen her social activity increase as a result.

“It is much easier to hear about events when you’re living with 100 girls as opposed to two,” she said. “Really the only downfall is trying to find quiet space in the house to study.”

Across Bloomington, recent graduate Aby Cortes has a different living situation. Her one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment is covered with her possessions.

A May 2011 graduate with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts, Cortes said she finds living alone more conducive to her career.

“Being a creative person, I work much better surrounded by my own things,” she said. “Some people think it’s messy, but I find it productive. I like finding my stuff the way I left it.”

Cortes lived with the same roommate for three years in an apartment complex across from Memorial Stadium.

“The location obviously helped my social life, but I haven’t really seen a decrease in it moving into my own apartment,” she said. “You’re really only a short walk or car ride away from your friends and living in Bloomington. You can always find something to do.”

As for those seemingly unavoidable habits developed by living alone, Cortes answered with a laugh.

“I’ve caught myself talking or thinking out loud quite often,” she said. “For now, I don’t think it’s a problem. Living alone, I eat when and whatever I want without reservations.”