Students teach kids about vegetarianism, neuroscience

Student volunteers from IU made their way to the Crestmont Boys and Girls Club, which is located about three miles west of campus in a low-income, subsidized-housing community.

A boy sat with two hands grasping a half-eaten falafel sandwich. “Do you like the falafel?” a Boys and Girls Club leader asked.

He put down the pita and shook his head but continued to nibble at the sandwich.

Representatives from Veg IU, IU’s vegetarian and vegan organization, visited the Boys and Girls Club to teach the kids about a healthy vegetarian diet.

The kids’ afternoon snack consisted of do-it-yourself falafel sandwiches, for which BGC members could stuff pita bread with spicy chickpea patties, cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes.

“This food is called ‘vegetarian’ because there’s no meat in it,” a member of VegIU called out, her voice rising above the noise created from the kids crafting their culinary creations and the mixed reactions at the dish they received.

“It was so funny when they ate the falafels because it was either ‘I love it!’ or ‘I’m not eating this,’” VegIU President Jennie Plasterer said. “There was one kid who shouted, ‘This is amazing!’ and there was another going, ‘No way!’”

The VegIU volunteers also introduced the kids to fruit pizzas, a sugar cookie-like crust topped with applesauce instead of tomato sauce.

The volunteers placed trays of fruit on the table, allowing the children to customize their afternoon snacks to fit their personal tastes.

“Fruit pizzas are always fun because (the kids) can decorate and put colors on, so we thought that was a pretty interactive, fun kid meal,” Plasterer said.

Little hands plucked slices of strawberries, bananas and pineapple from the trays. Strawberries appeared to be everyone’s favorite topping, and the pizza slices were gone in minutes.

Meanwhile, the IU Neuroscience Club taught a short lesson in the clubhouse’s upper level.

“Does anyone know anything about the brain?” an IU student asked. The group of kids, who ranged in age from about 6 to 11, were quiet, except for one.

“It gives you blood!” one girl yelled out.

“Not quite,” the IU student said with a smile.

Members of the neuroscience club explained what cells are and how they contribute to living things.

“The brain is made of little cells called neurons,” one said, holding up a construction paper neuron pieced together with pipe cleaners and plastic pony beads.

Volunteers from the neuroscience club helped the kids craft their own
neurons, teaching them how the brain controls the things people do.

At first, the whole building was loud, abuzz with the voices of excited children. Volunteer Coordinator Matt Hanauer said he initially worried the Friday rotations would be chaotic.

The Historical Society was supposed to do an activity with the kids, but this plan fell through.

As a member of groups Campus Kitchen and the IU Historical Society, Hanauer organizes for various student groups to visit the Crestmont Boys and Girls Club.

The group also visits the Lincoln Boys and Girls Club and Girls Inc.

By the end, Hanauer said he was pleased something that was at first “kind of a disaster” turned out really well.

It came time for the kids to go home as BGC members wiped down the tables where the food had previously been.

The volunteers rewarded themselves with the leftover falafel, and the day drew to a close.