Largest German opera in IU history returns to stage after 46 years

Der Rosenkavalier

More than 46 years ago, the opera “Der Rosenkavalier” by Richard Strauss made its debut on the IU campus.

This weekend, after more than a year of preparation, the four-hour production will return to the Musical Arts Center.

“I have always been a great fan of Strauss’s work,” said Vincent Liotta, stage director and Jacobs School of Music professor of opera studies.

“There are not many places that can produce ‘Der Rosenkavalier’ and certainly no other university that I know of anywhere in the world.”

“Der Rosenkavalier” is an extraordinarily complex opera to tackle, said Julia Lawson, a retired faculty member from the IU Department of Germanic Studies. Lawson worked with the cast members on their German pronunciation, as well as their ability to understand what they were saying.

“I don’t know, but I’d guess that in 1966, when the opera was first performed, it was not sung in German,” Lawson said. “This time it will be.”

Set in Vienna in the 1740s, the opera features four main characters: the Marschallin, Octavian, Sophie and the Baron Ochs. What begins as a love story between the Marschallin and Octavian ends as a love story between Sophie and Octavian and a betrayal by Sophie as she plots to leave the Baron.

Although considered a comic opera, the play operates at a deeper level.

“The moment that Octavian brings the rose to Sophie, they immediately fall in love,” Evelyn Nelson, who plays the role of Sophie, said in a press release. “The rest of the opera is spent trying to get her betrothed Baron Ochs away and trying to get her together with Octavian.”

Incorporating twice as many characters as an average opera, the task of designing and creating the clothing for the characters has proved challenging to Linda Pisano, associate professor of costume design in the IU Department of Theatre and Drama.

“Costume designs for any production, whether it is opera, theater or ballet, are first and foremost there to help tell the story, so my designs start with the libretto and, of course, the ‘feel’ of the music,” Pisano said.

“The months of studying and researching the opera, talking with the director, painting the designs, purchasing the fabrics and constructing the costumes are the fulfilling part, but I will admit, when it all comes together in performance there is a bit of renewed energy.”

Sarah Ballman, who plays Octavian, said the performance expresses a wide range of emotion as well as musical splendor.

“If you haven’t seen ‘Der Rosenkavalier’ or if you haven’t even seen an opera in your life, this is a wonderful show to go to,” Ballman said. “Personally, I don’t think there is ever a dull moment. You will either be laughing, crying or standing there in amazement at the beautiful grandeur of this opera.”

Though written in 1911, the opera’s remains popular.

“‘Rosenkavalier’ is a very special opera,” Nelson said in a press release. “It has some of the most brilliant, moving music that I’ve ever heard.”

Conducted by Jacobs professor David Effron, chair of the Orchestral Conducting Department, this version of “Der Rosenkavalier” has its own spin that has encouraged the performers throughout its preparation.

They have worked for a lengthy period on perfecting the performance, and Liotta said he has high expectations.

“I think I can say that I am perfectly confident that the performance will meet every audience expectation and show all of the performers to the best advantage,” Liotta said.

“Having directed many operas, it is always an honor and a rare opportunity to get to do an opera of this scope and importance.”