‘In the Heights’ premieres at Auditorium

In The Heights

The crowd roared with laughter as two actors stomped to the mini-store placed onstage for the opening night of “In the Heights” at the IU Auditorium.

“Yo, what did I tell you? Go fix that refrigerator!” Usnavi yelled at Sonny.

“Hells no,” Sonny said. “That thing be sparkin’ and fusin’ and shit. I ain’t gonna fix it.”

Towering buildings stood on either side of the stage and the Brooklyn Bridge was illuminated in the background of the detailed set.

Red and gray lights danced across the stage as the company opened with the song “In the Heights.”

Set in Manhattan, the drama unfolds when Nina, the only daughter of Kevin and Camila, returns home from Stanford University.

Throughout the musical, the theme of home was embraced and made Nina strong when she felt weak. Other characters in the play were made aware of the importance of home, too.

Dancing and vocals carried the musical and made the night “extravagant and impressive,” audience member Grace Ardery said.

“This musical is really fun,” Ardery said. “I’ve seen it before in New York and it was, of course, awesome there, as well. The songs are so lively and catchy, it made it worth seeing a second time.”

The last song of Act 1 was one of the most explosive, literally.

Lights and video splashed on the back wall, creating a colorful array of exploding fireworks to accompany the song “The Club/Fireworks.”

The song “No Me Diga” was also featured. A dramatic rendition sung by the characters Daniela, Carla, Vanessa and Nina, the song captured the essence of the troubles experienced by the women.

“The voices in the play were truly wonderful,” said private voice coach and audience member Heather Narducci. “There was a lot of great energy, and all of the actors onstage were very passionate.”

Moving from song to song, the actors worked tirelessly until they reached the end of the musical.

“Honestly, the actors and the set took me to Manhattan,” audience member Becky Underwood said. “There was a lot of great sensory images, and the impact of those images were staggering. It is truly a powerhouse show. They created a real feeling of place, and it made the show incredibly believable.”

Throughout the performance, audience members were zoned in on what was unfolding onstage, not daring to look away for one moment.

“I think this show is very upbeat and very entertaining,” sophomore Shelby Bates said.

“I enjoy coming to musicals like this because they involve so many elements to create an awesome show.”

It was the first time that Bates had seen the show, and she said she would happily see it again.

“It was so good, I think it would be like seeing a new show the second time around,” Bates said.

Though demonstrating talented dance performances and vocals, the musical also successfully represented the true meaning of home and the support that it offers.

“Those recipes you sent were a lifesaver, abuela,” Nina said.

“Well good,” Abuela Claudia responded. “I had to make sure you remembered the flavor of home.”