men's basketball

Column: A Glimpse of Greatness

Indiana lost.

I know I’m supposed to write bad things about this team when that happens. I’m supposed to pick reasons why IU underperformed and then try to make sense of it.

OK, I’ll give you two reasons: the first seven minutes and the last three.

Between those two time periods in IU’s 68-56 loss in the Crisler Center, Michigan outscored the Hoosiers 34-10. That translates to the Wolverines scoring half of their points in those crucial moments compared to 17.9 percent of IU’s point total.

Indiana played well at all the wrong times. The Hoosiers never led in their fifth loss in seven games.

During the 30 minutes that ultimately didn’t matter, I watched a team that I truly thought was going to make a comeback and capture a marquee win.

Whatever happened during that time period, which culminated in the Hoosiers closing the game to within two with 3:20 to go, needs to be captured, broken down into a formula, manufactured by Lilly and put into IU players’ Gatorade bottles during every game.

Then again, maybe that just works in Space Jam.

“You have got to play with a toughness and an intelligence, and we didn’t do that as much. We didn’t do that early on,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “We did it as the game went on. We came almost all the way back, but when you’re playing against a team like Michigan that’s as good as they are, you can’t spot them that kind of lead. You have to play extremely well to come all the way back. And even though it was close, it wasn’t enough.”

But nevertheless, I saw the potential. I saw a team that could have very well won if it was on the court to start and close out this game.

After being down as much 20 points 13 minutes into the first half, I think I heard the IU team bus start up to get an early start. Michigan freshman sensation Trey Burke scored 10 points in the first 5:21, and the Hoosiers’ offense committed eight turnovers to four assists.

For that crucial stretch that started the game, Crean would have been better served putting the Indiana Daily Student intramural basketball team on the floor.

But after Wolverine forward and Indiana-native Zack Novak nailed a 3-pointer to put Michigan up 31-17 with 3:07 left in the first half, the game changed in a way I wasn’t expecting.

A defensive effort fueled by sophomore guard Victor Oladipo and freshman guard Remy Abell kept Burke scoreless until the 5:08 mark of the second half. Backed by improved defense, junior guard Jordan Hulls, who tied a game-high 18 points, led an offensive outburst that made the 12,721 in attendance at the Crisler Center wonder what happened to that cushiony 28-8 lead the Wolverines had in the first half.

But the magic ran out, and IU was reminded why the Wolverines are 13-0 at home this season.

Michigan guard Stu Douglass explained what separates teams down the stretch.
“At the end, mental toughness is as important as anything in the last four minutes and holding the lead, especially with a team like that,” he said.

As the adage goes, there are no moral victories. And against Michigan, just as in Madison, Wis., the Hoosier did not play all 40 minutes.

“We dug ourselves a hole at the beginning of the game,” freshman guard Cody Zeller said. “You really can’t do that if we want to win, especially on the road. We did a nice job coming back, but it just wasn’t enough.”