Author Koritha Mitchell to lecture on modern racism

Racism is not dead, according to Koritha Mitchell’s book, “Living with Lynching: African American Plays, Performances and Citizenship.”

Mitchell is an English professor at Ohio State University and will speak about modern segregation at 4:30 p.m. today in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center.

“Living with Lynching” is a tribute to sympathetic theater performances written about African-American culture. Mitchell focuses on the historical fight for black citizenship and highlights scenes from past plays and photographs in her work.

“Since the October 2011 publication of my book ‘Living with Lynching,’ I have been asked whether I see parallels between our contemporary moment and the period that I study, 1890 to 1930,” Mitchell wrote in a blog post.

“The short answer is yes. In fact, I find the last turn of the century fascinating partly because it looks so much like this one. The similarities include the ugliness of anti-immigrant sentiment, the need for women to fight for baseline equity and safety, the ease with which certain families are denied recognition and respect and the dehumanizing treatment of the poor while corporations are treated as people.”

Mitchell wrote that historical issues such as this one are important for Americans because they highlight the treatment of U.S. citizens.

Drew Bratton, arts administrator for the IU Department of Theatre and Drama, said because plays highlight the human condition, it is essential to feature Mitchell’s work in the department.

“What we always strive to do is to bring stories, real, honest portrayals of life, to plays. We’re just helping to educate students about how society has shown depictions throughout time,” Bratton said.

In addition to it being a good event for the theater department, Bratton also mentioned that the event is an excellent opportunity for the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center.  

Stephanie Power-Carter, director of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, said she believes racism still exists.

“Racism, it’s different — it’s more covert,” Power-Carter said. “I think that it’s sometimes more comfortable for people to not discuss racism, I think we have made some strides to combat racism, but, unfortunately, it still exists.”

Melody Barham, an arts administration graduate student, said she agreed that racism, however veiled, is still a facet of America life.

“Although race is a social construct, the effects are very real,” Barham said.