Artist or fame whore?

Celebrities have it hard these days.

Award shows are no longer a chance for stars to revel in their own glamour. Now there appears to be some secret hidden edict saying famous people must make some kind of “artistic” statement on the red carpet.

There have always been those one or two eccentric celebrities who feel the need to show up in flat-out nonsensical garb (here’s looking at Björk and the infamous swan dress at the 2001 Oscars), but now there needs to be more. Apparently, there needs to be meaning beyond simply indulging quirkiness.

Cue Gaga.

The pop music and pop cultural sensation has been the catalyst for many of the statement-making ideas celebrities have embraced for award shows recently.

Gaga started her big societal criticisms at the 2010 Video Music Awards with her escort of soldiers directly affected by Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. Surprisingly enough, I actually enjoyed this stunt. Due to her continual efforts to repeal DADT, Gaga actually made a resounding statement in an area that readily publicized the effort, showing the public the need for change.

But then a horrible display of one-upmanship took hold, and the statements started to become more obscure and less meaningful to the general public.

Gaga’s egg-vessel for the 2011 Grammy Awards did not exactly phase, disconcert or inspire anyone. It was supposed to be a creative experience for the artist so she could fully understand her work, but it simply drew attention to Lady Gaga for publicity’s sake alone.

This is the trouble we face now. Can you actually make art on the red carpet, or is it all for pictures?

There was a lot of controversy leading up to this year’s Oscar awards that many have overlooked. Sacha Baron Cohen is at his shockingly scathing humor again with his new film “The Dictator” and caused uproar for the Academy when he expressed desire to show up to the awards as the film’s main character (a hyperbolic, golden-gun-toting ruler).

Drama ensued as rumors were thrown around that Cohen had his tickets revoked. Cohen, dressed as General Admiral Aladeen, then made a video directed to the Academy in which he yells, “Death to the west.” He was later assured that he was allowed to attend the Oscars.

What does any of this accomplish? What kind of art is being made here?

Cohen frequently loves to satirize our culture and point out its flaws through outrageous humor, but this whole stunt is nothing more than promoting his new film and attempting to get back some of the heated publicity he had during “Borat.”

That Cohen actually followed through with his threats for Sunday’s award show proved to be dismal, though when one spills ash on Ryan Seacrest’s presumably expensive tux, it becomes difficult to reprimand.

Celebrities become famous for making art, and they should be creative and earn their fame.

But there is a distinct line between statement and publicity stunt. We need to return to meaning more than simply being fame whores.

­— sjostrow@indiana.edu