New coach, recruits arrive during icy weekend

When Jon Fabris arrived at his desk Friday as the new defensive ends coach, it was empty. By midday Sunday, he said he couldn’t even see his desk through all the paperwork covering it.

It will have to wait, though. With just six days until National Signing Day, he said his top priority is recruiting. With six potential 2012 players visiting this past weekend, it was one of the last chances to impress recruits.

Fabris’ meeting with the media was delayed because he was talking with recruits. One of those was defensive end Nick Mangieri, who committed to IU in June 2011.

“He seems like a great guy, and he has a real impressive résumé, so I look forward to playing with him,” Mangieri said. “I pretty much talked to him all weekend, and then we sat down on Sunday and talked a little bit.”

Fabris spent nine years at Georgia and was named the best position coach in the SEC by Sporting News. Fabris will visit Mangieri’s home in Dunlap, Ill., later in the week.

Mangieri was one of four weekend visitors who already committed to IU, but two — defensive back Jeffrey Hall and wide receiver Ricky Jones — are still in the process of making a decision.

Jones is listed as a wide receiver but talked to both Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Johns (former wide receivers coach) and Cornerbacks Coach Brandon Shelby.

Jones began as a cornerback and then became a slot receiver. Last season, he played both sides of the ball, and said he feels comfortable on defense as well.

The Florida resident said he and other recruits had issues with the layer of ice that covered town. Jones said he fell and thought it was funny.

“I didn’t see him fall,” Mangieri said, “but I’m pretty sure everybody else saw me fall.”

Jones said he plans to make his decision today, his 18th birthday. He said IU is at the top of his list, followed by Florida Atlantic University and Western Kentucky. He said IU attracts him because of the allure of having a hand in Big Ten football.

“When I’m looking at it, it seems like it’s one of the greatest (conferences),” Jones said. “That’s what I like. It’s up there with the SEC. That’s the only conference that can battle with the SEC.”

Fabris joked that he has coached in every major conference except the Big Ten. He said he has seen just about every situation.

“I haven’t been at the Georgia or Notre Dames all my life,” Fabris said. “I know what it’s like to coach at Washington State, and yet I know what it’s like to beat your cross-state rival three out of four years or beat USC.”

Fabris said the attitude of Wilson’s staff will help the team to improve upon its one-win 2011 season.

“It can be done,” Fabris said. “Is it easy? No. But it can be done, and that attracted me to be with a personality that believes it can be done.”