MCCSC superintendent delivers first state of the school address

Judith DeMuth, superintendent of the Monroe County Community School Corporation, delivered the county's first state of the schools address 8 a.m. Thursday.

The address followed an exhibition by students featuring many projects, such as a silver robot arm that whirred, grabbed and dunked a basketball through student Alex Knox's arms. Visual arts students presented painted masks, paintings flashing across a monitor and intricately carved busts. Other students showcased community service they had performed.

Christy Gillenwater, president and CEO of the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, was one of several to thank those in attendance and praise DeMuth's work.

"We believe in our school system," Gillenwater said. "We believe in our superintendent."

She said she and others at the Chamber encourage community support and have been pleased to see it in the past. She cited the MCCSC School Tax Levy Referendum, passed in November 2010, which raised property taxes 14 cents for six years to benefit the school corporation.

"We're also excited to see how the community's investment in the schools with the recent referendum pays out," Gillenwater said.

Tom Bunger, president of the board of directors for MCCSC, said the recent changes to MCCSC's finances and support reflect community values.

"That's one of the things about education in Monroe County," Bunger said. "Whenever I speak, I say we value it."

LOOKING FORWARD
Safety
Continue efforts to keep students safe during school hours
Includes protection from bullying and cyber-bullying

Test Scores
Improve test scores
Heighten skill sets and confidence for students

Referendum Accountability
Show growth provided by referendum funds
Report fund usage to board

Longer school day
Use more hours to benefit students and staff
Maximize efficiency

Technology
Use and teach new technology effectively and often
Give teachers tools and skill sets for new technology

Mission, Vision and Core Value
Reassess mission, vision and core value statements
Take suggestions from community and staff

For a full version of this story, pick up Friday's edition of the Indiana Daily Student.