men's basketball

Column: New year’s resolutions for the Hoosiers

1. Avoid the gray warm-ups

I understand injuries are not something IU can control. They are random occurrences that have already affected four Hoosiers this season in Maurice Creek, Will Sheehey, Derek Elston and Verdell Jones III. IU has proven it can overcome the challenge of playing without those first two contributors by defeating Ohio State on Dec. 31, but IU Coach Tom Crean’s squad can ill afford to play with any thinner of a bench. At this point, no further information has been released that could let us know when Sheehey could return, but until he does, fans are hoping the basketball gods smile favorably upon the Hoosiers for the rest of the season.

2. Prove the doubters wrong

Analysts, both national and local, are paid to have an opinion. Sometimes they’re right, while other times the egg ends up on their faces. I can’t say whether Crean or his team pay any attention to these pundits because I haven’t asked them. However, I do know that
after garnering the best pair of wins in the country, IU basketball has drawn the most national attention since Crean was hired. And no matter what you think of them, the fact that you have an opinion about what these columnists say, means you — and many others across the country — are reading them.
One opinion that has emerged from the national conversation of IU’s identity is that the Hoosiers are overrated and unproven because they have yet to record a quality road win. Whether this argument holds water, instead of thinking of this opinion as a conspiracy against Crean’s rebuilding efforts, I think this can be an opportunity to once again prove the doubters wrong. The Hoosiers can go on the road and pick up big-time road wins at Wisconsin on Jan. 26 or in Ann Arbor on Feb. 1 and end this useless speculation if they capitalize on these opportunities.

3. Find a way to integrate the freshmen

Nobody likes the columnist who is critical during winning times, but then again, people generally dislike me anyway, so I guess this won’t hurt an already soiled reputation. But I was really hoping freshmen guards Remy Abell and Austin Etherington would have played more of an active role on the roster up to this point — especially with Sheehey on the bench.
Outside of the starting guards, the Hoosiers’ backcourt reserves include seniors Matt Roth and Daniel Moore, and then Abell and Etherington. I understand the argument to put experience first, but after a non-conference schedule that largely included opponents on the lower side of the RPI, I was hoping that Etherington and Abell would be averaging more than 6.6 and 7.8 minutes per game, respectively — numbers that will only diminish with conference play. I would
imagine this potential-filled pair of freshman was recruited to be more than just good cheerleaders on the bench because I know they’re capable of more.
But then again, who am I to say who should play when? If an approach that has gotten you to 13-1 ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

4. Finish the year undefeated at home

They ... could ... go ... all ... the ... way!
Many point to the road as the place where IU can make a statement that defines its season. However, this year, the Hoosiers have the potential to do something that hasn’t been done since the 2006-07 season — win every game they play at Assembly Hall. IU’s
remaining home games are against Minnesota, Penn State, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, North Carolina Central, Michigan State and Purdue to finish the season.
I think the most difficult of that set will be the final two, but the Hoosiers have shown that when they play in Bloomington, they have the potential to beat anyone in the country.
If Crean’s team does indeed run the table at home, it will give them at least 22 wins overall and nine in the Big Ten.
Winning games you’re supposed to win is important, and at this point, I would count every match-up without an “@” next to it as a “should win.”

­— azaleon@indiana.edu