Fitz & the Tantrums to play Toys for Tots concert

The vintage organ that first led Michael Fitzpatrick, a.k.a. Fitz, to create the sound for Fitz & the Tantrums does not tour with the band. After all, the band would have to have its own semi-truck to move it, said saxophonist and flautist James King. But the massive instrument is still an inspiration.

“Our music is heavily drawn from Motown and classic American,” King said, adding that it complements its soul and indie sensibility.

With a rave review from Rolling Stone this year, radio success and spots on television shows that include “Criminal Minds” and “Desperate Housewives,” the band has risen to success rapidly since its first show in December 2008.

“It’s been really lightning speed,” King said.

At 8 p.m. Tuesday, Fitz & the Tantrums will come to The Bluebird Nightclub, along with indie-pop band Scars on 45, which hails from Leeds, England. Tickets are on sale at The Bluebird, Landlocked Music and Ticketmaster locations for $22.

The concert is also a benefit for Toys for Tots. People are encouraged to bring new, unwrapped toys to the show.

“We definitely need the help, especially with the economy the way it is right now,” said Bob Sutter, founder of Monroe County Toys for Tots.

The organization plans to assist 400 to 500 families in Monroe County and surrounding areas, which means toys for 1,000 children or more, Sutter said. 

Danny Bemrose, singer and guitarist for Scars on 45, said he looks forward to benefit concerts, which his band does often in England.

Like Fitz & the Tantrums, the band has experienced much success. Surprisingly, it’s all been in the United States.

“In England, we have no popularity at all,” Bemrose said, excluding their home city.

But all the same, he said he’s “completely happy” about his and his fellow musicians’ success stateside.

Now, after three years as the band Scars on 45, the group has toured for many months and expects to have its next album out in February, Bemrose said.

Scars on 45 met Fitz & the Tantrums at a conference in Boulder, Colo., a while ago.
“They’re such lovely people,” Bemrose said. “We’re really excited to play with them.”

As to Tuesday’s performance, King has a bit of advice.

“Just bring out the Red Steppers, because you’ll have something to dance to,”
King said.