Column: Buongiorno, Bologna

Travel Column

Really, November? You just breezed on through, passing by so quickly I barely had time to celebrate the Thanksgiving dinner thrown for me by my program and questioned by my Italian roommates.

Pair that with trips to Rome, Florence, Milan and Mantova and here I am, bracing myself for the two finals that await me on Monday.

I guess some things remain the same regardless of the continent you’re studying in.
But let’s be honest, traveling and experiencing a new culture are the biggest gains from “studying” abroad, so I don’t regret a single one of my trips.

Now, amidst the flurry of studying and cramming that college students around the world are experiencing, I not only have to study, but also find a way to see what Italy has to offer for the Christmas season. (Rough life, right?)

Dec. 8 marked the official start of the holiday season here in Bologna with the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. While to students it’s mostly a reason for another four-day weekend, older Italians appreciate it as the day Mary began carrying Jesus. Don’t bother trying to tell them Christmas is in a mere 17 days. Perhaps his conception is similar to that of a vampire and he grows at a remarkably fast speed?

Similar to the day after Thanksgiving, Italians everywhere are decorating their homes with garlands, candles and nativity scene figurines. Struffoli, a dessert with origins in Napoli, and Cenci, an Italian version of the elephant ear, are now available at bakeries throughout the city. Storefronts are littered with clothes in red, green and glittery patterns that enable obnoxiously-dressed aunts everywhere to continue their pattern of leaving sparkles on others’ clothes after the necessary Christmas Day hug.

The most distinct feature of celebrating the holidays in Europe has origins in Germany and Austria— the Christmas market. Affiliated with the Advent season, the markets began popping up at the beginning of December in about 1300. Today, these markets that offer seasonal baked goods, unique presents and live entertainment are present throughout the world.

While it was fun to gallivant around Europe, speak another language and wear leggings as pants, I’m due to return to the United States soon. While you’ve been real, Europe, the lack of Christmas movies, snowstorms or my mom’s chili has put a bit of a damper on my holiday season.

Next week, I’ll pack up my belongings, head to the airport and enjoy as much of Air France’s free wine as I can before I return to life as a minor and a North American.