Annual holiday ballet performance opens to sold-out crowd

IU Ballet Theater presented its 53rd annual production of “The Nutcracker” this weekend at the Musical Arts Center.

Patrons were greeted by a decorated lobby, which included a Christmas tree and ornament shop where attendees were able to purchase mementos from the show.

The performance received a standing ovation from a sold-out crowd of wonderstruck students, children and adults, some who have attended the show for many years.

Senior Kelsey Adams said she has seen the performance five times.

“I don’t think it is Christmas until I see ‘The Nutcracker,’” Adams said.

Adams’ mother used to take her as a child, and Adams said she plans to do the same when she has a daughter of her own.

“I’ll definitely take my little girl to ‘The Nutcracker,’” she said. “Heck, I’ll take my boys, too, if I have boys. I have to.”

The MAC has the production every December to bring the holiday ballet to students and families in the community.

For others, the tradition began this weekend. On Friday, Adams’ friend, senior Jessica Wehr, experienced the festive performance for the first time.

“I really enjoyed the show,” Wehr said. “The musicians and dancers are really talented. My favorite part was the Snow Queen’s dance.”

“The Nutcracker,” written by  Russian composer Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, tells the story of a little girl, Clara, who receives a toy nutcracker from her godfather. Clara falls asleep with the nutcracker in her arms and starts to dream of magical things, such as a Mouse King and Sugar Plum Fairy.

The orchestra at the MAC was led by guest conductor Scott Sandmeier, and set and costume design was directed by the Chair of the Department of Opera Studies, C. David Higgins. Michael Vernon, Chair of the Department of Ballet, choreographed the production.

Laura Pollin, a transfer student from the University of Virginia, was a dancer in the corps for the show.

“I believe the performance went really well,” Pollin said. “The audience was really positive, and we all fed off their energy. Arabian and Trepak seemed to be
favorites.”

The dances Pollin referred to are included in a part of the performance celebrating sweets from around the world. Dancers portrayed coffee from Arabia and Russian candy canes performed a traditional dance on stage.

Like many girls, Pollin went to “The Nutcracker” during the Christmas season when she was young and said she was inspired.

“It was a reminder of the reason why we take class everyday: to eventually perform,” she explained.

Pollin said rehearsing for the show was hard work. Dancers began rehearsing every weekday starting in early October.

The week before opening, most of the performers were in the MAC from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.. But Pollin said the hard work is worth it in the end.

“I especially like the parts that I am in just because I love performing,” she said. “Plus, being in the corps can actually be a fun challenge. You have to perfect your own dancing as well as be tuned in to everyone around you.

But my favorites to watch are the grand pas de deux because every ballet dancer aspires to dance that role at some point. And I just think Chinese is adorable,”
Pollin said.

Pollin also said “The Nutcracker” always spreads holiday cheer.

“Much of the music is the epitome of Christmas music,” she said. “Even hearing the score everyday, certain parts still excite me and get me into the Christmas spirit. Even people who don’t know anything about ballet usually recognize Tchaikovsky’s music as Christmas songs.”

JJ Koh, a second-year master’s student, said he feels the holiday cheer around “‘Nutcracker’ time.”

“As opposed to another event, such as an opera, ‘The Nutcracker’ brings in a busier crowd with a lot more families,” Koh said. “The MAC also does a good job bringing Christmas cheer by all of the decorations in the lobby and hosting the Nutcracker Tea, where kids can meet dancers in the performance.”