‘Urbana’ CD released by Latin group

The Latin American Popular Music Ensemble is redefining the perception of music within its genre.

The group will perform at 8 p.m. Wednesday at Auer Hall within the Jacobs School of Music.

The concert will feature members of El Taller and will be the official release event for the ensemble’s latest CD, “Paisaje Urbano.”

The album features a wide variety of genres, including tangos, bossa nova and boleros and explores the musical landscape of many Latin American cities.

“When people think of Latin American music they think of salsa and things like that,” ensemble Co-Director Espen Jensen said. “Now, you get to see some of that but all sorts of other styles and genres of Latin America as well.”

Jensen added that one of the main elements of the CD is music that’s prevalent in urban centers.

“Tango is associated with Buenos Aires, and bossa nova with Rio ... all of them are associated with a city. That’s why it’s called ‘Paisaje Urbano,’ or urban landscapes.”

Junior Virginia Eulacio-Guevara is an ensemble member involved in the recording.

“The challenge of playing the different genres is actually learning the characteristic features and the way in which the music is played in its place of origin,” Eulacio-Guevara said.

“Each style has its own features and sound that makes them unique.”

The instrumentation of the ensemble also guides the Latin American styles featured in the CD, Eulacio-Guevara said.

“This ensemble is all about bringing the different musical styles that you can find in Latin America,” Eulacio-Guevara said. “We blend them in a way that not only makes sense stylistically but also musically and according to our instrumentation.”

However, Jensen said recording was a big project to take on for the group when it came to scheduling.

“Keep in mind that most of these players are students, so it’s a challenge and a reward,” Jensen said.

Recording was also difficult to get each track to sound the best it could, Eulacio-Guevara said.

“It was somewhat tedious at times, but that is only because we all wanted to receive a really good outcome,” Eulacio-Guevara said. “It was a good growing experience, not only individually, but also as a group.”