Students, faculty attend music convention

Jacobs School of Music faculty and student percussionists and the IU Drumline were showcased last weekend at the Percussive Arts Society’s 50th annual International Convention.

The convention took place in Indianapolis, providing IU students and faculty a special opportunity to participate and perform throughout the weekend.

“There was a significant IU faculty and student presence there,” said John Tafoya, chair of the Jacobs percussion department. “We are very proud because we feel like IU was really well-represented.”

Tafoya and his fellow Jacobs faculty members Kevin Bobo and Michael Spiro were featured in performances and clinics throughout the weekend.

Under the direction of Spiro, the IU Afro-Cuban Folkloric Ensemble performed Saturday during a special, full-length concert at the convention.

The Percussive Arts Society selected the ensemble of about 30 students, who competed internationally for the opportunity to play at the convention.

“We got to perform in front of a bunch of percussionists and percussion enthusiasts that understood the language we were speaking and understood where the music was coming from,” said Rod Costman, an ensemble member and second-year masters percussion performance student in Jacobs. “It was probably the most remarkable performance I have been a part of.”

The drumline of IU’s Marching Hundred, directed by Jacobs Alumnus Joel Brainard, performed Friday at the convention.

Tafoya said convention attendance usually reaches 6,000 to 7,000 people each year, and attendees range from middle school, high school and college students to current and retired professional percussionists.

IU’s presence at the convention served as a recruitment and publicity tool, he said.

“PAS is there to encourage the art of percussive arts and teaching,” Tafoya said. “It was an honor to have a significant IU presence during a significant milestone in PAS history. We are fostering the next generation of young performers.”