Students connect through Jewish singing contest

The deep, bellowing shofar, a traditional Jewish horn, began the synagogue service and Eitan Kantor’s love for music.

An IU sophomore, Kantor found a gift in his voice and violin at age 7.

While abroad in Israel last year, Kantor’s talent brought him to the finals of “Hallelujah,” an international singing contest.

“There were thousands of people,” Kantor said. “When I was standing to get on stage to perform, I was so nervous. I thought I was going to throw up.”

The competition, similar to “American Idol,” brings 30 Jewish singers to Israel to compete and train with popular Israeli musicians.

Kantor, native to St. Louis, made it to the top nine. The winner was Adam Kleinberg of Mexico.

In performances on YouTube, Kantor’s voice is smooth and well-developed, gracefully hitting ornamental notes. His stage presence is charismatic and energetic.

“(Performing) is feeling pumped and feeling like I’m going to die. That’s what I live for,” Kantor said.

While “Hallelujah” primarily gives contestants a chance to showcase skills, it also allows contestants to connect to their Jewish roots. Participants tour cities and holy spots in Israel as ambassadors of Jewish music.

But Kantor went deeper still. Fully immersing himself, for half a year he lived in a mud dome in Kibbutz Lotan, a socialistic commune in which members take from shared resources only as needed.

As he reflected on a year very different from those spent at IU, his gaze
wandered.

“It’s my favorite place in the world,” Kantor said. “We’d get up at sunrise, and the sun would come up over the red mountains of Jordan.”

IU sophomore and Jewish music major Happie Hoffman shares Kantor’s admiration for Jewish culture and music. Hoffman won People’s Choice in the online voting portion of the contest.

“Israel is like a page out of a history book,”

Hoffman said. “It’s an old sacred place for so many people.”

Hoffman now writes and performs original music, often inspired by Judaism, on her YouTube account, Happie1234567.

Her latest single, “Jerusalem”, is a soulful tribute to her heritage.

“The Jewish music program was part of the reason I came to IU,” Hoffman said. “I can’t see myself doing anything but sing. I feel like it’s what I’m meant to do.”

Hoffman and Kantor said they will continue to pursue their passions through practice and determination.

“You can’t just rely on talent,” Kantor said. “It’s also all about effort.”