sports field hockey

Ready for rematch

IU vs. Michigan State Field Hockey

The IU field hockey team plays a rematch with Iowa in the opening round of the seven-team Big Ten Tournament today.

The Hoosiers fell to the Hawkeyes 4-2 three weeks ago in Iowa City, Iowa. IU is the tournament’s No. 5 seed and Iowa is the No. 4 seed.

“After the Iowa game we focused on our structure and really worked on how we can improve, especially on defense,” senior forward Brenna Moeljadi said. “The changes we made are really going to help us this next game.”

IU Coach Amy Robertson has led the Hoosiers to another winning record this season. She saw her 100th win earlier this season.

She looks to make the NCAA tournament for the third time in her IU career and has made improvements all week to try and lead IU to the championship game, which the team will have to make to have any shot to return to the NCAA Tournament.

“The team has been focused on being realistic,” Robertson said. “We’ve worked on both defensive and offensive aspects trying to improve on how we played them the first time, and there were definitely some glaring things that needed to be fixed. We worked on those things in practice.”

If IU wins, it will face the tournament’s No. 1 seed Michigan in a semifinal match Friday.

“Any team in the Big Ten tournament can go into the championship,” Robertson said. “I don’t think we’re any different. The energy around the team is really good. We’re really loose and having a good time.”