Police arrest Bloomington man on preliminary charges of child neglect, battery

A Bloomington man was arrested Wednesday on preliminary felony charges of child neglect and battery with serious bodily injury.

The boy arrived at IU-Health Bloomington Hospital on Friday, Nov. 4, to be treated for dehydration, Sgt. Jeff Canada of the Bloomington Police Department said. After an overnight stay, the boy was transported to Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis after doctors found unexplained bruising on his body.

Jason L. Mitchell, 28, the live-in boyfriend of the child’s mother, reportedly told the family that the boy had choked on a piece of candy Nov. 2. The child’s mother told police that Mitchell said he had first tried to pry open the boy’s mouth to get to the candy before resorting to the Heimlich Maneuver.

Mitchell said the child began vomiting during the maneuver, and he had been vomiting several times each day since.

Doctors at Riley soon determined that the 3-year-old was suffering from a life-threatening internal abdominal injury called duodenal hematoma. The child also had unexplained bruising on his spine and on one of his thighs, Canada said.

Additionally, doctors found a healing spiral bone fracture in the boy’s right forearm.

BPD detective Sarah Carnes and an Indiana Department of Child Services investigator talked to the child, who said Mitchell hurt him, Canada said.

The child’s mother told police she often leaves her three young children home with Mitchell while she works full time. She has been leaving the children with Mitchell for about three months, Canada said.

Mitchell told Detective Carnes that he and the 3-year-old often wrestle, and sometimes the boy falls over.  

Mitchell also told Carnes he suffers from blackouts. Mitchell said he can’t recall what happens during these blackouts, but when he comes to, the child is sometimes injured.

The Riley Child Protection Program reported that the child’s injuries represent severe physical abuse, Canada said. The fact that there was bruising on the boy’s back, but not his stomach, is not consistent with the use of the Heimlich Maneuver, the team told police.

The 3-year-old remained hospitalized Thursday, Carnes said. The two other children, ages 2 and 4, were checked for injuries but appeared to be fine.