Pizza X driver dies after being shot early Friday

Pizza X shooting

A Pizza X delivery driver who was shot shortly after midnight Friday has died from his injuries.

Adam Sarnecki, 22, died at 4:40 a.m. after surgery at IU Health Bloomington Hospital, Monroe County Coroner Nicole Meyer said. An autopsy will be conducted Friday afternoon.

Sarnecki previously attended Bloomington High School South. He was not an IU student. He leaves behind a fiance and young children.

On their Facebook page, Pizza X said that a fund was being set up to help Sarnecki's family. The Pizza X Twitter account (@PizzaX) also began circulating the hashtag "#RIPAdam" midday.

"We are in somewhat of a daze today and Pizza X South will remain closed tonight in support of our staff there," they posted on Facebook. "We are very sad today."

Sarnecki was shot behind the Pizza X location at 2443 S. Walnut St., Bloomington police Lt. Bill Parker said.

Parker said that Sarnecki "saw what he thought was a guy trying to break into cars." Original reports say Sarnecki approached the man, but a current police report said that when Sarnecki got out of his car, the man turned and shot him.

Parker said the shooter was a white male of unknown age and medium height, who had a goatee and was wearing a brown hoodie.

Two Pizza X employees in the store said they did not hear gunfire, but called police when Sarnecki came into the store after being shot.

The area behind the store was blocked off  with police tape, and BPD officers searched the area with canine units and flashlights soon after the shooting. Police were searching a green car with its lights on and a Pizza X sign on the roof, as well as a silver Ford Taurus that was parked behind the store.

Two men found in two different places near the area were taken to the police station and cooperated in interviews before being released, Parker said. A police canine led police to an area near Winslow Court, but a suspect was not located.

Detectives and officers gathered evidence and will continue investigating, Parker said.

Parker stressed that anyone who witnesses criminal activity should contact police right away rather than engage suspects alone.

Jake New contributed to this report.