Michigan State hands IU another Big Ten loss, 55-3

Thanks to 272 yards from Kirk Cousins and the Michigan State passing game, the Spartans defeated the Hoosiers 55-3 today at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing.

In the first half, IU punted to end their first drive of the game. Michigan State then completed a pair of passes to B.J. Cunningham and Garrett Celek to put the Spartans on the Indiana eight yard line with a first-and-goal situation. A third down open field tackle by Mullen, whose blown coverage allowed Cunningham’s catch, forced Michigan State to settle for three points.

On Michigan State’s next possession, a fake reverse led to a wide-open Cunningham hauling in a 63-yard scoring pass from Cousins.

The Spartans followed that up with a 47-yard pass to Keshawn Martin, who broke a tackle, then ran uncontested to the endzone.

IU got on the board in the second quarter with a 10-play, 55-yard drive that ended with a 22-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Mitch Ewald.

The Spartans responded with a long kickoff and a 19-yard reverse for a touchdown by Martin to make it a three-score game once again.

IU went three-and-out its next drive, then allowed another MSU score on a 10-yard Baker run.

MSU tacked on a field goal, then intercepted true freshman quarterback Tre Roberson to effectively end the half.

The third quarter began with essentially a continuation of the second quarter. Michigan State manufactured a methodical eight-play drive that ended with a seven-yard touchdown pass to Cunningham.

IU responded with a 3:51 drive, but it ended with an interception that was returned by the Spartans’ Johnny Adams for a touchdown.

Three straight quarterback rushes by Roberson resulted in an IU punt. Michigan State’s backup quarterback, Andrew Maxwell, led the ensuing drive, which ended with Edwin Baker’s second touchdown of the afternoon.

The Hoosiers also inserted their backup signal caller, sophomore Edward Wright-Baker, in the second half. The team put together a 4:14 drive in the first possession with Wright-Baker under center, but it ended with a turnover on downs. Junior Adam Follett also saw his first action of the season in the fourth quarter on the final few plays of the game.

Senior linebacker Jeff Thomas lay in the field for several minutes at one point early in the third quarter, but managed to walk off the field himself. He has not returned to the field.

The fourth quarter featured a brief appearance by true freshman cornerback Nick Stoner at wide receiver.