IUDM raises more than $1 million for Riley despite event changes

IUDM

Every year, IUDM has seen increased participation and larger donation totals. This year, more than 1,600 dancers participated, and the event raised $1,801,207.20 for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, an all-time record.

IUDM has been at IU for more than 20 years but experienced many changes this year that made the event especially challenging for coordinators, said Michael Cheng, director of morale for IUDM.

“It’s been a little different,” Cheng said. “But it’s been awesome this year. It feels a lot closer, like you actually get to know more of the dancers easier and see all the Riley families.”

The event is closer for two reasons: the venue change and the implementation of shifts. Not only was there less floor space this year in the IU Tennis Center compared to the marathon’s usual location at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, but there were also fewer dancers present during the two dance shifts.

Maddolyn Lubbers, vice president of events for IUDM, said the event was a success.
“I think it went as smoothly as it could have,” she said. “This has definitely been a learning experience for us. There’s a lot to learn from it. But there’s nothing we could have prepared more for.”

She said this year’s changes have been positive.

“It’s been just a year of change,” she said. “Our quote this year has been ‘Out of changes grow miracles’ because we have run into a lot of difficulties...But overall, it’s just been inspiring, seeing everyone coming together...making it the best that it could possibly be.”

Despite these changes, IUDM stuck to a familiar format, with different speakers, dancers, games and sporting tournaments during the 36 hours. The Riley families, including the Abbots, also had a chance to speak.

Shelley Abbott has been bringing her son, a Riley kid, to IUDM since 2005.

When Abbott’s son Daniel was 10 months old, his appendix burst, and infection flooded his body.

“We didn’t know what was wrong with him for several days,” Abbott said. “He ended up having an infection all through his body, and Dr. Kleiman, who is actually Ryan White’s doctor, was his doctor. We spent two and a half months at Riley.”

The dance marathon was created in White’s honor after he died from contracting AIDS through an infected blood transfusion. IUDM raises money for Riley Hospital, where he was treated.

Abbott said her son always enjoys the dance marathon.

“He’ll be up there in front of the kids with a microphone, singing,” she said. “We don’t have any prepared music, but he just gets up there and sings, and he is the star of the show, and he loves it. It is the highlight of his year.”

The event was, at times, emotional. IUDM president and senior Michael Essling broke down during his final presidential address, as did many in the crowd.

Just before the total was announced, participants began to chant the traditional motto, “FTK!” which means “For the Kids.”

When signs showing the final fundraising total were displayed, and everyone saw the amount had broken last year’s all-time record, the crowd went crazy.

Lubbers said breaking records isn’t what’s important.

“We try to stay away from a monetary goal because every little bit counts,” she said.

She said her favorite part of IUDM this year was fielding all of the unique challenges the changes have brought.

“Breaking tradition sometimes shows the true colors of how hard people work,” Lubbers said.