Blood drive calls for equality

Sigma Phi Beta, Secular Alliance oppose donor ban

The Sigma Phi Beta fraternity, along with the Secular Alliance, will put on the Blood Drive for Equality from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in Kelley School of Business 307.

The Blood Drive for Equality aims to bring awareness to the men who have sex with men (MSM) blood donation ban that is currently in effect.

The MSM blood ban states than any male who has ever had sexual contact with another male is automatically ineligible to donate blood.

This is a lifetime ban that cannot be lifted. The groups will be asking for signatures from donors for a petition requesting the removal of the MSM ban. 

The ban is a guideline put into effect by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1977.

Recently, it has been a source of constant controversy.

In 2010, the New York City Council passed a resolution that called upon the FDA to lift the ban, stating that it was “based on prejudice, a knee-jerk reaction, and misunderstandings about the HIV/AIDS disease.

Given the constant need for blood, it does not make common sense to prohibit donations from an entire population.”

Outrage about the ban is not limited to New York City. In 2010, the Washington, D.C., City Council also called upon the FDA to lift the ban and replace it with policies that “protect the safety and integrity of the blood supply that is based on up-to-date scientific criteria.”

The MSM ban does not exclusively affect gay men; it affects women as well. Blood banks will reject the blood from any woman who has had sexual contact within the last 12 months with a man who has had sex with another man.

Bryce Gibson of Sigma Phi Beta described the ban as “medically and scientifically unwarranted.”

“Every two seconds someone is in need of blood, and men across the nation who are willing to donate safe, life-saving blood are not allowed,” Gibson said. “Other countries have successfully lifted or modified this ban with no negative consequences, and the United States should follow.”

The blood drive comes just in time for HIV/AIDS Awareness Day on Dec. 1.

Cookies from BLU Boy Café and Cakery and bagels from Bloomington Bagel Company will be available for purchase with all proceeds going to Positive Link.

Positive Link provides a single point of access to medical, financial, psychosocial, nutrition/wellness and educational resources to people living with HIV/AIDS.